L.W. MILLER WINS SATURDAY NIGHT AT CARAWAY SPEEDWAY
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour driver L.W.
Miller passed the race’s dominant car of Jason Myers with nine laps
remaining to score the victory in the Night of Southern Modifieds
L.W. Miller’s win was his second victory in the first four
races of the 2007 NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour season.
Miller used a bump-and-run move on Myers which left the
youngest of the Myers’ brothers racing family not very happy with
his NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour cohort.
“I just have to thanks Jimmy and Danny Baker for putting me
in such a good car as we had this evening and this was just a great
night of racing at Caraway,” L.W. Miller said. “I basically just
rode around most of the night until a caution came out which let me
catch up to Jason. I got underneath of him and kind of rode him up
the track a little bit which is how you have to pass people on a
short track and he knows that.
“Hopefully Jason will calm down a little bit. I hate it for
him but that’s just the way you have to race in the last 10 laps. I
hate he feels the way he does, but that’s just a part of racing.”
Jason Myers was clearly dejected at the late turn of events.
“You win some – you lose some,” Myers said. “This is the best
run I’ve ever had at Caraway. If you’d have told me last week that
I’d come to Caraway and finish I’d have been tickled to death. To
lead 140 laps and then get done wrong there at the very end is
pretty tough to take. Sometimes stuff like this can come back to
bite you. To finish second on a night like this is pretty
There were some hard feelings after the race between not only Jason
Myers towards L.W. Miller, but also Tim Brown and Junior Miller who
had a run-in during the race which spilled over to an invitation to
the NASCAR hauler for a chat with Tour director Mark Suddreth.
The top-five finishers on Saturday night were L.W. Miller,
Jason Myers, Burt Myers, Junior Miller and Frank Fleming.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour returns to action
July 6 at Caraway Speedway.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Whelen Southern Modified Tour
Saturday At Caraway Speedway
Lap length: 0.455 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (5) L.W. Miller, Mooresville, N.C., Pontiac, 150
laps, 79.105 mph, $2,200.
2. (1) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Chevrolet, 150,
3. (6) Burt Myers, Walnut-Cove, N.C., Chevrolet, 150,
4. (11) Junior Miller, Pine Hall, N.C., Dodge, 150, $1,300.
5. (12) Frank Fleming, Mount Airy, N.C., Pontiac, 150, $1,000.
6. (3) Brian King, Burlington, N.C., Chevrolet, 150,
7. (8) Bobby Hutchens, Lexington, N.C., Chevrolet, 150,
8. (9) Brian Pack, Walkertown, N.C., Chevrolet, 150,
9. (7) George Brunnhoelzl, Babylon, N.Y., Dodge, 150,
10. (13) Chris Fleming, Mount Airy, N.C., Chevrolet, 149,
11. (16) Gene Pack, Myrtle Beach, S.C., Chevrolet, 149, $525.
12. (18) Jason Trinchere, Sherrills Ford, N.C., Chevrolet,
13. (17) Rich Kuiken, Jr., Staffordville, N.J., Chevrolet,
14. (10) Jay Foley, Stuart, Va., Chevrolet, 148, $460.
15. (4) Tim Brown, Cana, Va., Chevrolet, 147,
16. (14) Wesley Swartout, Stroudsburg, Penn., Ford, 133, $430.
17. (2) Michael Clifton, Walkertown, N.C.,
Chevrolet, 112, $420.
18. (15) Thomas Stinson, Chester, Va., Chevrolet, 21, $410.
19. (19) Andrew Seuss, Hamstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 0, withdrew,
Time of Race: 0 hours, 51 minutes, 46 seconds
Margin of Victory: .245 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: B. Myers (103.201 mph, 15.872 seconds)
Caution Flags: 4 for 26 laps.
Lead Changes: 1 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: J. Myers 1-140; LW. Miller 141-150.
Standings: 1. J. Miller, 650; 2. B. Myers, 627; 3. LW. Miller,
621; 4. T. Brown, 575; 5. J. Myers, 546; 6. B. Pack, 536; 7.
G. Brunnhoelzl, 527; 8. B. Hutchens, 524; 9. B. King, 514; 10.
W. Swartout, 488.
Source Jason Mitchell/NASCAR
April 21, 2007