WHELEN SOUTHERN MODIFIED TOUR DRIVER TIM
SATURDAY VICTORY AT SOUTHERN NATIONAL RACEWAY PARK
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour driver Tim Brown has been on a roll
as of late, scoring his second win in the last 12 days in convincing
fashion on Saturday night at Southern National Raceway Park.
It was Brown’s third career Whelen Southern Modified Tour
win, and second of the 2007 season, by a three second margin over
runner-up Frank Fleming.
“I tell you what – I love this race track,” Brown said. “Last
year when we came here we were real good and had a shot at both the win
and the championship until a lapped car got in our way. This race was a
lot like Ace a few days ago because we had them covered. We knew we had
the car to beat when we unloaded it. About five laps into the race I
knew we had something for them and we did.
“I just want to thank all the guys on this team because they
work so hard to give me a good car and it’s nice to see them get
Rounding out the top-five, in order, behind Brown and Fleming
were Junior Miller, L.W. Miller and Burt Myers.
For L.W. Miller, his fourth-place effort was just about as
good as a win as he now leads Brown by 55 points with only two races
remaining. Burt Myers now stands 77 points behind in third with two-time
with two-time and defending Whelen Southern Modified Tour champion
Junior Miller in fourth and 101 markers in arrears.
“We’ve still got a shot at the championship but we’re going
to need some bad luck to fall on L.W. and that team because they’re
always good at Caraway,” Brown said. “Anything can happen and hopefully
The Whelen Southern Modified Tour returns to action next
Saturday night, Sept. 22 at Caraway Speedway where L.W. Miller has won
the last five races at the Asheboro , N.C. short track.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Southern National Raceway Park
Results Saturday At Southern National Raceway Park
Kenley , NC
Lap length: 0.4 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (5) Tim Brown, Cana , VA. , Chevrolet, 150
laps, 83.237 mph, $2,000.
2. (4) Frank Fleming, Mount Airy, N.C., Pontiac ,
3. (7) Junior Miller, Pine Hall , N.C. , Dodge,
4. (2) L.W. Miller, Mooresville , N.C. , Pontiac,
5. (9) Burt Myers, Walnut-Cove , N.C. , Chevrolet,
6. (12) Thomas Stinson, Chester , VA. , Chevrolet, 150,
7. (3) Brandon Hire, Winston-Salem , N.C. ,
Chevrolet, 149, $950.
8. (8) George Brunnhoelzl, Babylon , N.Y. , Dodge,
9. (10) Brian Pack, Walkertown , N.C. , Chevrolet, 149, $590.
10. (11) Brian King, Burlington , N.C. , Chevrolet, 138, $550.
11. (16) Jay Mize, Clemmons , N.C. , Chevrolet, 149, $525.
12. (15) Gene Pack, Myrtle Beach , S.C. , Chevrolet, 148, $500.
13. (17) Earl Baker, Winton-Salem , N.C. , Chevrolet, 147, $485.
14. (14) Jay Foley, Stuart , VA. , Chevrolet, 138, $460.
15. (1) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Chevrolet, 53,
16. (13) Wesley Swartout, Stroudsburg , Penn. , Ford, 10,
17. (6) Buddy Emory, Petersburg , VA. , Chevrolet, 0,
rocker arm, $420.
Time of Race: 0 hours 43 minutes 15 seconds
Margin of Victory: Three seconds
Caution Flags: 2 for 15 laps.
Lead Changes: 2 among 3 drivers.
Lap Leaders: L.Miller 1-9; F.Fleming 10-31; T.Brown 32-150.
Standings: 1. L.Miller, 1625; 2. T.Brown, 1570; 3. B.Myers, 1548;
4. J.Miller, 1524; 5. B.King, 1434; 6. J.Myers, 1376; 7. F.Fleming,
1360; 8. B.Pack, 1321; 9. G.Brunnhoelzl,1209; 10. G.Pack, 1206.
Mitchell/NASCAR WSMT PR
September 15, 2007