The Chrome Horn News



    It was the first time in a while that an RoC event coming to Mahoning Valley speedway did not get rescheduled due to weather. The mercury was showing temperatures in the 90's, but that did not keep the anyone away. The stands, parking lot, and pits were filled.
   Time trials, heats, and consi's were completed to determine the field. The top 12 automatically advanced to the main event based upon their time, but would redraw to determine starting position. While Eric Beers showed to be the man to beat, he was going to have to prove this by starting from the 8th spot.
   The 26 car field was set. Paul Skodacek on the pole, with Rick Kirkendall on the outside. The green flew, Skodacek jumped out into the front leading the first two laps. It was then when the caution flag flew for a spinning Bup Dreher in turn 4. The field regrouped and back to green. Kirkendall got the jump on Skodacek taking over the lead. Setting sail, Kirkendall expanded his lead but once again, action was halted for a spinning Lou Strohl between turns one and two. Fourteen laps were complete as the yellow number 4 remained out front. When the green came out, Kirkendall had his hands full, as he had a hard charging Eric Beers coming. As lap19 was completed Beers pulled up next to Kirkendall and made the pass smoothing to take the lead. Beers started to stretch the lead, however on lap 22, Jan Leaty spun on the front stretch bring out the caution.
   Racing resumed and Beers proceeded to lead, Kirkendall tucked in behind beers while Rick Kluth, Donny Wagner, and Bobby Jones battled behind the leader. As lap 33 was completed by Beers who had a commanding lead, Jim Storace spun on the backstretch. The green returned to the track while Beers remained out front. Kirkendall remained in second while Bobby Jones moved into third bringing Donny Wagner with him as Rick Kluth moved back to fifth. Beers had a commanding lead, showing all signs he was the one to beat. Jan Leaty and Jared Nace were about to go a lap down on lap 46 when they got together in turn 1, collecting the leader, Eric Beers.
   Kirkendall took the green as the leader, but a fast moving Bobby Jones passed him and proceeded into the lead. Kirkendall still very strong battled back and regained the lead on lap 63. After losing the lead Jones started to fall back into the field while Brian Defebo who started in the back of the pack was moving to the front. Dick Brown, the head flag man showed 5 to go as Defebo moved into second with Wagner and Kluth right behind him.
   Kirkendall was able to hold of the challenge of Defebo to take the checkers. Defebo would settle for second, Kluth third, Wagner fourth, and pole sitter Skodacek fifth.


Source: Amanda Suhoski / The Chrome Horn
Posted:  June 7, 2008

2008 GeeLaw Motorsports/