WSMT QUALIFYING: BRUNNHOELZL NABS FIRST POLE
George Brunnhoelzl III won his first career Coors Light Pole Award
Saturday as the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour made its first
visit to Lanier National Speedway.
Brunnhoelzl (No. 28 Oval Speed Unlimited Ford) lapped the .375-mile
oval in 13.543 seconds for an average speed of 98.353 mph.
Jason Myers (No. 4 Moorefields Trantham Enterprises/MDZ/RH2 Ford)
was second fastest in qualifying for the Lanier 150 at 13.613/97.848.
Brian Loftin (No. 23 L&R Transmissions/QMF Solutions Chevrolet) was
third fastest at 13.615/97.833.
Burt Myers and Brian King, who was fastest in practice, were fourth
and fifth in qualifying, respectively.
The top 10 qualifiers redrew for starting position, which put Tim
Brown and King on the front row. Brown qualified 10th and will start
first. Brunnhoelzl redrew sixth and Jason Myers fourth. Burt Myers and
Jason Myers will make up the second row at the start.
Loftin will start the race ninth in his quest for a fourth straight
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified win. He leads the points by 23 over L.W.
Miller, who qualified ninth and redrew 10th.
The green flag for the Lanier 150 is scheduled for 9 p.m.
NWSMT Lanier 8/30/08 Qualifying Results
NOTE - Top 10 qualifiers redrew for starting position
POS / CAR / DRIVER/HOMETOWN / SPONSOR / TIME / SPEED
1. 83 Tim Brown, Cana VA. Hayes Jewelers/Triad Auto Sales
2. 17 Brian King, Burlington N.C. Adam's Towing & Recovery
3. 1 Burt Myers, Walnut-Cove N.C. JRC Investments Ford 13.649
4. 4 Jason Myers, Walnut Cove N.C. Moorefields Trantham
Enterprises/DMZ/ RH2 Ford 13.613
5. 07 Frank Fleming, Mount Airy N.C. Patterson Automotive/ProHealth
Center Pontiac 13.668
6. 28 George Brunnhoelzl, Babylon N.Y. Oval Speed Unlimited Ford 13.543
7. 44 Brandon Hire, Winston-Salem N.C. Smith Jennings/Clemmons Speed Shop
8. 49 Scott Rigney, Mount Airy N.C. * Scott's Custom Cabinets Pontiac
9. 23 Brian Loftin, Lexington N.C. L&R Transmission/QMF Solutions
Chevrolet 13.615 97.833
10. 36 L.W. Miller, Mooresville N.C. John Baker Plumbing &
Utilities/Sink Towers Pontiac 13.702
11. 02 Buddy Emory, Petersburg VA. * RCS Construction Chevrolet 13.755
12. 79 Ronnie Silk, Norwalk Conn. Hill Enterprises/ Coorsheight Ritomin
Water Pontiac 13.805
13. 8 Jay Mize, Clemmons N.C. Mize Construction Chevrolet
14. 47 Andy Seuss, Hampstead N.H. Advance Auto Parts/ Q Racing Oil Dodge
15. 25 John Smith, Mount Airy N.C. Tutterow Surveying Chevrolet 13.868
16. 98 Rich Kuiken, Jr., Staffordville N.J. * Flow Masters Testing &
Balancing Chevrolet 13.952
17. 57 Scott Gartner, Sunset Beach N.C. Fast Eddies Express Pontiac