FINALLY FIRST: GEORGE BRUNNHOELZL SCORES FIRST
WHELEN SOUTHERN MODIFIED TOUR WIN SATURDAY AT LANIER
On Saturday night at Lanier National Speedway, it was a case of ‘finally
first’ for NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour driver George
Brunnhoelzl who scored his first career victory in rather convincing
fashion in one of the most competitive races in series history.
The third-generation racer from Babylon, N.Y. took the lead from
Frank Fleming – who was also looking for his first Whelen Southern
Modified Tour victory – and wheeled his way to the front on Lap 25 and
never looked back as his family-owned No. 28 Oval Speed Unlimited
Chevrolet won his first race in his 20th career start.
“This is unbelievable and this night has been a long time coming,”
Brunnhoelzl said. “Tonight we were fortunate enough to sit on the pole
and win the race. This is awesome and just unreal. This car was on rails
tonight. Emotionally this is huge. Dad and I have been racing together
my whole life and to see the look on his face when I pulled into Victory
Lane was something I’ll never forget. I couldn’t be any happier than I
am right now. I’ll never forget this night.”
Fleming was both disappointed in coming up shy of the win but also
very respectful towards Brunnhoelzl.
“I wanted to win but I got beat by one car,” Fleming said. “I’m
glad to see anybody win a race that hasn’t won in a while. I was just
glad to be competitive. I usually get beat by guys like L.W. Miller and
Brian Loftin and I beat them tonight and still finished second. It was a
good night for us and we’re going to hopefully win a race pretty soon.”
Rounding out the top-five behind Brunnhoelzl and Fleming were L.W.
Miller, current championship leader Brian Loftin and Tim Brown. The
Top-10 was completed by Burt Myers, Brian King, Jason Myers, Andy Seuss
and Buddy Emory.
The Whelen Southern Modified Tour returns to action next Saturday
night, Sept. 6 at Caraway Speedway in Asheboro , N.C. with a 150-lap
race on tap.
UNOFFICIAL RACE RESULTS
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Lanier 150 Results
Saturday At Lanier National Speedway, Gainesville , GA
Lap length: 0.37 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (6) George Brunnhoelzl, Babylon , N.Y. , Ford, 150 laps,
76.230 mph, $2,500.
2. (5) Frank Fleming, Mount Airy, N.C., Pontiac , 150,
3. (10) L.W. Miller, Mooresville , N.C. , Pontiac, 150, $1,425.
4. (9) Brian Loftin, Lexington , N.C. , Chevrolet, 150,
5. (1) Tim Brown, Cana , VA. , Chevrolet, 150, $1,000.
6. (3) Burt Myers, Walnut-Cove , N.C. , Ford, 150, $850.
7. (2) Brian King, Burlington , N.C. , Chevrolet, 150, $750.
8. (4) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150, $690.
9. (14) Andy Seuss, Hampstead , N.H. , Dodge, 150, $590.
10. (11) Buddy Emory, Petersburg , VA. , Chevrolet, 150, $650.
11. (12) Ronnie Silk, Norwalk , Conn. , Pontiac , 150, $525.
12. (15) John Smith, Mount Airy, N.C., Chevrolet, 150, $500.
13. (7) Brandon Hire, Winston-Salem , N.C. , Chevrolet, 150,
14. (13) Jay Mize, Clemmons , N.C. , Chevrolet, 149, $460.
15. (16) Rich Kuiken, Jr., Staffordville , N.J. , Chevrolet, 148, $445.
16. (8) Scott Rigney, Mount Airy, N.C., Pontiac , 141, $430.
17. (17) Scott Gartner, Sunset Beach , N.C. , Pontiac , 20, rear end,
Time of Race: 0 hours 43 minutes 41 seconds
Margin of Victory: 1.558 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: G.Brunnhoelzl (98.353 mph, 13.543 seconds)
Caution Flags: 4 for 23 laps.
Lead Changes: 2 among 3 drivers.
Lap Leaders: T.Brown 1-18; F.Fleming 19-24; G.Brunnhoelzl 25-150.
Standings: 1. B.Loftin, 977; 2. L.Miller, 959; 3. B.Myers, 898;
4. T.Brown, 880; 5. J.Myers, 844; 6. B.King, 835; 7. F.Fleming, 832; 8.
A.Seuss, 806; 9. G.Brunnhoelzl, 781; 10. J.Smith, 744.