BURT MYERS SCORES NASCAR WHELEN SOUTHERN TOUR
SATURDAY NIGHT AT SOUTHERN NATIONAL RACEWAY PARK
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour driver Burt Myers snapped a nagging
losing streak on Saturday night in the Night of Modifieds 150 at
Southern National Raceway Park.
Myers’ victory on Saturday night by a comfortable 3.040-second
margin of victory over second-place finisher Tim Brown ended a 13-race
winless skid for the popular Walnut Cove, N.C. driver dating back to his
last Whelen Southern Modified Tour win on Aug. 4, 2007 at Bowman Gray
Myers led the first two laps until L.W. Miller took command on the
third lap. Myers regained the lead from Miller and never looked back en
route to the victory.
“We had an awesome race car tonight and getting to celebrate like
this is what it’s all about,” Myers said following his fifth career
Whelen Southern Modified Tour victory. “We’ve had a great car all year
long, but it has seemed to lose a little bit of speed as we get deeper
and longer in race runs. Tonight was just perfect and the car had all
kinds of grip in it. All I needed to do was take my time and be
Rounding out the top-five behind Myers (No. 1 JRC Investments
Chevrolet) and Brown (No. 83 Hayes Jewelers Chevrolet were L.W. Miller,
Andy Seuss and George Brunnhoelzl. The Top-10 was completed by Jason
Myers, Buddy Emory, Thomas Stinson, John Smith and Frank Fleming.
Aside from Myers returning to Victory Lane in Whelen Southern
Modified Tour competition, one of the biggest stories from Saturday
night centered on point leader Brian Loftin who entered Southern
National with a 79-point lead over defending Tour champion L.W. Miller.
Just past the Lap 35 mark, Loftin’s No.23 L&R Transmission/QMF
Solutions Chevrolet stalled on the track to bring about the race’s first
and only caution flag. Loftin experienced electrical problems and
finished 15th while Miller ended up third which allowed him to cut
Loftin’s point advantage to 32 with three Whelen Southern Modified
events remaining. Brown is 35 points behind Loftin in third in the
standings and Myers sits only 37 behind Loftin in fourth.
The Whelen Southern Modified Tour returns to action this Saturday,
Sept. 20, at the legendary Martinsville (Va.) Speedway. The Whelen Made
in America 300 is a combination race with the
northern-based Whelen Modified Tour.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Night of Modifieds 150 Results
Saturday At Southern National Raceway Park, Kenley , NC
Lap length: 0.4 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (1) Burt Myers, Walnut-Cove , N.C. , Chevrolet, 150 laps,
83.527 mph, $2,000.
2. (5) Tim Brown, Cana , VA. , Chevrolet, 150, $1,500.
3. (3) L.W. Miller, Mooresville , N.C. , Pontiac, 150,
4. (4) Andy Seuss, Hampstead , N.H. , Dodge, 150, $1,050.
5. (8) George Brunnhoelzl, Babylon , N.Y. , Ford, 150,
6. (6) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150, $850.
7. (14) Buddy Emory, Petersburg , VA. , Chevrolet, 150, $1,150.
8. (12) Thomas Stinson, Chester , VA. , Chevrolet, 150, $690.
9. (10) John Smith, Mount Airy, N.C., Chevrolet, 149, $590.
10. (7) Frank Fleming, Mount Airy, N.C., Pontiac , 149,
11. (15) Bobby Hutchens, Lexington , N.C. , Chevrolet, 148, $525.
12. (11) Brian King, Burlington , N.C. , Chevrolet, 148, $500.
13. (9) Scott Rigney, Mount Airy, N.C., Pontiac , 147, $485.
14. (13) Rich Kuiken, Jr., Staffordville , N.J. , Chevrolet, 146, $460.
15. (2) Brian Loftin, Lexington , N.C. , Chevrolet, 146,
Time of Race: 0 hours 43 minutes 6 seconds
Margin of Victory: 3.040 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: L.Miller (101.046 mph, 14.251 seconds)
Caution Flags: 1 for 4 laps.
Lead Changes: 2 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: B.Myers 1-2; L.Miller 3-100; B.Myers 101-150.
Standings: 1. B.Loftin, 1265; 2. L.Miller, 1233; 3. T.Brown,
1230; 4. B.Myers, 1228; 5. J.Myers, 1140; 6. A.Seuss, 1131; 7. F.Fleming,
1126; 8. B.King, 1117; 9. G.Brunnhoelzl,1060; 10. J.Smith, 1000.