LATE MOVE SEALS
WIN FOR MILLER
Southern Modified Lead With Bowman Gray Victory
Miller used a late pass of Burt Myers to claim the checkered flag in the
Strutmasters.com 199 presented by 104.1 WTQR at Bowman Gray Stadium Saturday
night. It was the first NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour win for Miller
since April of 2008 and moved him into the point lead.
“It’s been a long time since we have been in Victory Lane and I just want to
thank Tony Templeton and the entire crew for getting this car ready
tonight,” said Miller. “I just can’t say enough about Baker Motorsports and
everyone who helped us get back here tonight.”
Myers finished second, followed by John Smith, Jason Myers and Andy Seuss.
Frank Fleming was sixth and Coors Light Pole Award winner Zach Brewer
seventh. Brandon Hire, Josh Nichols and Randy Butner rounded out the top 10.
Myers led a race-high 145 laps before Miller made a move on Lap 183 and
passed him in Turn 3. Miller got Myers loose and was able to dive inside and
make the pass in a move Miller said you have to do at Bowman Gray.
“I got into Burt a little and was able to make the pass,” Miller said. “It
was good hard racing and I know he would have done the same to me. I am just
happy we beat the best of the best here at the Stadium.”
The win moved Miller into a tie with Brian Loftin with the most career wins
Myers, who entered the race as the only Tour driver to win the
Strutmasters.com 199 twice, wasn’t upset and knew it was going to be hard to
hold Miller back.
“We had a really good car tonight and for the first 175 laps it seemed we
had the car to beat,” Myers said. “He kind of gave me a shot in the corner
but he was quicker than I was. His car came on there at the end and mine
kind of gave up a little bit. He did what he had to do."
Fleming swept both the Coca-Cola Move of the Race and Featherlite Most
Improved Driver Awards. Mike Norman captured the Sunoco Rookie of the Race
Miller's previous best finish at Bowman Gray was second in 2006. Combined
with James Civali's 13th-place finish, Miller moved in front points,
831-794. Seuss is third at 792.
The Strutmasters.com 199 is scheduled to air on VERSUS on Wednesday, Aug. 18
at 7 p.m.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour will return to the track Wednesday,
Aug. 18 for the annual combination race with the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour
at Bristol Motor Speedway.
Whelen Southern Modified Tour - Strutmaster.com
Saturday At Bowman Gray Stadium, Winston-Salem, NC
Lap length: 0.25 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (6) L.W. Miller, Dushore, PA, Pontiac, 199 laps, 48.975
2. (8) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, NC, Ford, 199, $1,500.
3. (10) John Smith, Mount Airy, NC, Chevrolet, 199, $1,125.
4. (1) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, NC, Ford, 199, $1,050.
5. (5) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, NH, Dodge, 199, $1,000.
6. (14) Frank Fleming, Mt. Airy, NC, Ford, 199, $1,450.
7. (7) Zach Brewer, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 199,
8. (15) Brandon Hire, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 199, $690.
9. (11) Josh Nichols, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 199, $590.
10. (18) Randy Butner, Winston-Salem, N.C., Chevrolet, 198, $550.
11. (4) Gene Pack, North Myrtle Beach, S.C., Chevrolet, 197,
12. (3) Luke Fleming, Mt. Airy, NC, Chevrolet, 197, $500.
13. (12) James Civali, Meriden, CT, Pontiac, 183, $485.
14. (2) Brad Robbins, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 105,
15. (9) Tim Brown, Cana, VA, Chevrolet, 101, $445.
16. (17) Mike Norman, Lewisville, NC, Ford, 68, accident, $530.
17. (16) Bryan Dauzat, Alexandria, LA, Chevrolet, 67, accident, $420.
18. (13) Greg Butcher, Mocksville, NC, Chevrolet, 15, accident, $410.
Time of Race: 1 hour 0 minutes 57 seconds
Margin of Victory: 1.508 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: Z.Brewer (67.522 mph, 13.329 seconds)
Lap Leaders: J. Myers 1-35; B. Myers 36-60; J. Myers 61; B. Myers
62-116; L. Miller 117;B. Myers 118-182; L. Miller 183-199.
Standings: 1. L. Miller, 831; 2. J. Civali, 794; 3. A. Seuss, 792; 4.
J. Smith, 776; 5.B. Myers, 739; 6. Z. Brewer, 709; 7. J. Myers, 707; 8. F.
Fleming, 677; 9. B. Hire, 656;10. G. Pack, 613.
Source: Timothy Southers / NASCAR