FLAG-TO-FLAG FOR CARAWAY WIN
Takes second win
this season at Caraway by leading every lap
the second time this season Andy Seuss led flag-to-flag in NASCAR Whelen
Southern Modified Tour competition at Caraway Speedway – this time winning
the Triad Commercial Property Services 150.
Although he led every lap on the final rundown, it was anything but easy for
Seuss, who also won the race at Caraway in March after leading every lap.
“We knew L.W. (Miller) was going to be tough because he has been real good
everywhere this year,” Seuss said in Victory Lane. “We were a little bit
free coming off (the turns) and he knew my weak spot.”
Seuss was making reference to Miller making contact with Seuss on Lap 139 to
get him loose and pull in front. However, while the two were racing hard up
front, it bunched up the field and Johnny Kievman spun in Turn 2 to bring
out the caution before Miller could officially lead a lap putting Seuss back
“Thankfully for us the caution came out and we got lined back up in front
and we were good from there.”
Miller, who also finished second to Seuss in March, still had a good night
although he wanted to pick up another win.
“We got in traffic one time and got by him and lucky for him the caution
came out,” Miller said. “The best car won the race and we had the
The win was Seuss’ eighth career win on the NWSMT and fourth tour victory at
the .455-mile track in Asheboro, N.C.
John Smith followed Seuss and Miller across the line for third. Burt Myers
was fourth, with 2009 champion George Brunnhoelzl III in fifth.
Brandon Hire was sixth, followed by James Civali, Jason Myers, Zach Brewer,
and Jonathan Kievman.
Civali, who entered the night with a slight five-point lead over Miller in
the point standings, never was a factor for the win and with his
seventh-place finish, enable Miller to retake the lead and Seuss to also
move past him for second place.
now leads with 1,139 points and Seuss is now within seven points of the lead
at 1,132. Civali is third, 19 points behind Miller.
The race was caution-free for the first 89 laps until Gary Putnam and Greg
Butcher both spun on the frontstretch to bring out the yellow. The caution
evaporated the lead Seuss and Miller put on the field.
The only other multi-car incident occurred on lap 132 after Frank Fleming
and Josh Nichols both made hard contact into the Turn 1 wall in front of
Seuss and Miller. Both lead cars were able to swerve and miss the accident
with Miller diving down on the exit lane from pit road to avoid Nichols.
Miller rebounded from his blown engine at Bristol to win the Featherlite
Move of the Race Award while defending tour champion George Brunnhoelzl III
made just his second start of the season on the tour a good one winning the
Coca-Cola Move of the Race Award. Despite being involved in a spin, Putnam
won the Sunoco Rookie of the Race Award for the second time this season.
Seuss also won the Coors Light Pole Award earlier in the day during
The Triad Commercial Property Services 150 will air on VERSUS on Wednesday,
Sept. 1 at 7 p.m. ET.
The next stop for the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour will be at
Langley Speedway in Hampton, Va., on Saturday, Sept. 4.
Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Triad Commercial
Property Services 150 Results
Saturday At Caraway Speedway, Asheboro, NC
Lap length: 0.455 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (2) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, NH, Dodge, 150 laps, 78.373
2. (1) L.W. Miller, Dushore, PA, Pontiac, 150, $1,800.
3. (4) John Smith, Mount Airy, NC, Chevrolet, 150, $1,125.
4. (8) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, NC, Ford, 150, $1,050.
5. (11) George Brunnhoelzl III, West Babylon, NY, Ford, 150, $1,300.
6. (10) Brandon Hire, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 150, $850.
7. (7) James Civali, Meriden, CT, Pontiac, 150, $750.
8. (3) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, NC, Ford, 150, $690.
9. (9) Zach Brewer, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 150, $590.
10. (13) Jonathan Kievman, Deerfield Beach, FL, Chevrolet, 150, $550.
11. (6) Frank Fleming, Mt. Airy, NC, Ford, 150, $525.
12. (18) Gene Pack, North Myrtle Beach, S.C., Chevrolet, 150, $500.
13. (16) Josh Nichols, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 149, $485.
14. (15) Tim Brown, Cana, VA, Chevrolet, 145, shocks, $460.
15. (12) Daniel Hemric, Charlotte, N.C., Pontiac, 102, $445.
16. (14) Bryan Dauzat, Alexandria, LA, Chevrolet, 102, $430.
17. (5) Brian Loftin, Lexington, NC, Chevrolet, 89, $420.
18. (17) Gary Putnam, Concord, NC, Chevrolet, 88, $510.
19. (19) Greg Butcher, Mocksville, NC, Chevrolet, 85, $400.
20. (20) Mike Norman, Lewisville, NC, Ford, 1, $390.
Time of Race: 52 minutes 15 seconds
Margin of Victory: 0.530 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: A.Seuss (103.149 mph, 15.88 seconds)
Caution Flags: 4 for 20 laps.
Lead Changes: 0 among 1 drivers.
Lap Leaders: A. Seuss 1-150.
Standings: 1. L. Miller, 1139; 2. A. Seuss, 1132; 3. J. Civali, 1120; 4. J.
Smith, 1096;5. B. Myers, 1069; 6. J. Myers, 1009; 7. Z. Brewer, 977; 8. F.
Fleming, 972; 9. B. Hire,930; 10. G. Pack, 882.
Source: Timothy Southers / NASCAR