CHRIS PASTERYAK SCORES
BLASTOFF WIN AT WATERFORD
driver and former series champion Chris Pasteryak, of Lisbon, (CT), roared
to victory Sunday afternoon winning the 100-lap Budweiser Blastoff at the
Waterford, (CT) Speedbowl. The race was the season opener for the Valenti
Modified Racing Series.
After flagman John Spence Jr dropped the green flag on the brand new season,
the front row starters turned out to be the show.
Pasteryak jumped into the lead with pole-sitter Doug Coby of Milford (CT)
giving chase until he took the lead on lap 36. Coby, looking to score the
hat-trick, his third consecutive opening day VMRS race, set the pace for the
next 50 laps until Pasteryak took the top spot back on lap 85. Pasteryak
made it easy work over the final 15 circuits to pick up his second victory
at his home track and his fourth career VMRS win.
Pasteryak’s first VMRS win at Waterford was in 2008, his championship
His last victory was in August 2009 at Seekonk (MA) Speedway,
“It’s been awhile,” said a happy Pasteryak in victory lane .
“This is a nice way to start the season. Doug ran a great race. Tires were
good. It was fun.”
Todd Annarummo, of Swansea, (MA), finished third with a late race charge by
Rowan Pennink, Huntingdon Valley, (PA), and Les Hinckley, Windsor Locks,
(CT), finishing fourth and fifth.
Nashua, (NH), veteran Norman Wrenn, who started fourth and ran in the top
five until lap 89, finished sixth, 15 year old Tommy Barrett, of
Millis, (MA), a high school sophomore was seventh, Jacob Dore, Sanford,
(ME), eighth, Eric Goodale, Wading River, (NY), ninth, and Matt Hirschman,
Northampton, (PA), tenth.
Four caution periods on laps 8, 9,16, and 63 slowed the race.
The 100-lap event was completed in 45 minutes, 25 seconds.
26 drivers started the race with 18 finishing.
11 drivers finished on the lead lap.
The next event for the Valenti Modified Racing Series will be
Saturday, April 30, at Monadnock Speedway, Winchester, (NH) at 6:00 PM.
Race Summary: Race # 1 , Waterford Speedbowl
Distance: 100 laps
Time of Race: 45:25:240
Margin of Victory: 0672
Best Lap Time: 14.212
Best Lap By: Jon McKennedy
Best Speed: 94.990
Lap Leaders: Pasteryak (1-35) Coby (36-85) Pasteryak (86-100)
Cautions: (4) (Laps 8, 9,16, 63)
Order of Finish:
1. Chris Pasteryak, Lisbon, CT
2. Doug Coby, Milford, CT
3. Todd Annarummo, Swansea, MA.
4. Rowan Pennink, Huntingdon Valley, PA
5. Les Hinckley, III, Windsor Locks, CT.
6. Norm Wrenn, Nashua, NH
7. Tom Barrett, Millis, MA
8. Jacob Dore, Sanford, ME
9. Eric Goodale, Wading River, N.Y.
10. Matt Hirschman, Northampton, PA
11. Rob Goodenough, Swanzey, NH
12. Keith Rocco, Wallingford, CT.
13. Josh Sylvester, Lebanon, CT.
14. Eddy Spiers, Beacon Falls, CT.
15. Ken Barry, Preston, CT
16. Mike Holdridge, Madison, CT.
17. Rob Summers, Manchester, CT.
18. Louie Mechalides, Tyngsboro, MA.
19. Butch Perry, Ashaway, RI
20. Jon McKennedy, Chelmsford, MA
21. Stephen Masse, Bellingham, MA
22. Dave Etheridge, Portland, CT
23. Tim Jordan, Plainfield, CT
24. Joe Doucette, Framingham, MA.
25. Jack Bateman, Canaan, NH
26. Rob Williams, Winchendon, MA.
Source: John Spence Sr
/ Valenti Modified Racing Series