The Chrome Horn - Looking Back A Bit with Phil Smith


August 2, 2013

   Sixty years ago in 1953, Leo Boudreau was the 25 lap Sportsman winner at the New London-Waterford Speedbowl. Ted Dean was the non-Ford winner. Johnny Thompson, who began his racing career at the Kingston Fairgrounds in Rhode Island, was the Sportsman winner at the shoreline oval on Saturday night. Thompson, a refrigeration mechanic by trade would enjoy his greatest days during the 1960s at the Norwood Arena. Lou Tetreault was the Saturday night non-Ford winner.

   Fifty five years ago in 1958, Ray Moran was the Wednesday night winner in the Modifieds at the New London-Waterford Speedbowl. Dick Beauregard was the non-Ford winner and Turk Hewitt was the Bomber winner. Johnny Sandberg was the Saturday night Modified winner at the Speedbowl. Moran and John Arrigoni won support races.

   Fifty years ago in 1963 trade publication Area Auto Racing News reported that Eddie Flemke led the Eastern Bandits on a southern swing that took them to the Old Dominion Speedway in Manassas Virginia for a 200 lap Modified event. Flemke started 28th and by the time the race was flagged two to go Flemke had taken the lead only to run out a fuel and was forced to give way to New Jersey driver Bob Rossell who went on to take the win. Flemke had hoped to redeem himself at Old Bridge on Sunday but was thwarted by the rain. Rene Charland was the Friday night winner at the Fort Dix (New Egypt) Speedway. Don Collins was the 50 lap Modified winner at the New London-Waterford Speedbowl. Ed Gladue was the Bomber winner. A special Bomber program was run on Sunday, Aug 4,1963. It was on this date that Bob Potter won his first of almost 100 feature wins at the Waterford Speedbowl. George Janoski was the Modified winner on the dirt at Stafford.
Forty five years ago in 1968, Eddie Flemke began the weekend with a win at Stafford on Friday night. Driving the Bobby Judkins 2x, Flemke beat out Gene Bergin, Bugsy Stevens, Don MacTavish and Bob Santos. Pete Corey made a rare appearance at the Albany-Saratoga Speedway and walked away with a win. Andy Romano finished second with Jerry Cook, Dave Lape and Dave Kotary rounding out the top five. Lou Lazzaro made it two in a row at Fonda on Saturday night as he won a 50 lapper at the historic oval over Corey and Ed Pieniezek. Leo Cleary put the Joe Brady 41 in victory lane at Norwood and at Islip, John Berkowski took the win. Down on the Connecticut shoreline at the New London-Waterford Speedbowl it was Daring Dick Caso taking top honors in the Modifieds. Howard "Jiggs" Beetham who would become a championship car owner with Bob Potter as his driver, was the Daredevil winner. Bugsy Stevens took a win at Thompson on Sunday night and at Utica-Rome, Pete Corey got his second win of the weekend as he took the 30-lap win over Jerry Cook, Bernie Miller, Sonny Seamon and Lou Lazzaro. In open competition action at Fulton on Sunday, Jim Shampine took the win.

   Forty years ago, in 1973, a 100 lapper scheduled at the Albany-Saratoga Speedway, on Friday night, rained out. At Stafford on Saturday night, Ronnie Bouchard out-dueled Eddie Flemke for the win. Dennis Giroux finished third with Freddie Schulz and Dick Caso rounding out the top five. Islip ran a 200-lap championship event that saw Richie Evans, Bugsy Stevens and Jerry Cook upstage the locals as they took the top three spots. Dan MacNamara finished fourth with Jim Hendrickson, fifth. Shangri-La ran twin features with Grame Bolia and Bryan Osgood taking the checkers. Dick Dunn made it three in a row in the Al Gaudreau No.3 at the Waterford Speedbowl. Paul Coutu was the Grand American Late Model winner. Rounding out the weekend at Utica-Rome on Sunday night, Sonny Seamon took the win over Maynard Troyer, Richie Evans and Jerry Cook.

   Thirty five years ago, in 1978, the Yankee All Star League made a mid-week stop at the Waterford Speedbowl. Geoff Bodine continued his domination of the series as he took the win from local favorite Dick Dunn. Ron Bouchard finished third and was followed by Roland LaPierre Jr. and Bobby Clark. Richie Evans, Fred Harbach and Jerry Cook took the top three spots at New Egypt. Bodine went two for two at Stafford on Friday night as he won a left-over100 lapper plus the regularly scheduled 30 lapper. At Monadnock, Punky Caron ruled the roost.

   Riverside was not on Bodine's venue for Saturday as Reggie Ruggiero took the win at the amusement park oval. Bodine went to Seekonk where the rain prevailed. Bodine made it four for four on the weekend as he won the Sunday night event at Thompson. Ron Bouchard finished second with Fred DeSarro, third. It was also a good weekend for Richie Evans and Maynard Troyer. In addition to his win at New Egypt on Wednesday, Evans won a 200 lapper at Islip on Saturday and a 30 lapper at Utica-Rome on Sunday night. Troyer also hit a triple as he won at Spencer on Friday night plus double features at Lancaster on Saturday night.

   Thirty years ago, in 1983, a scheduled 100 lapper at Stafford had to be stopped after Corky Cookman ran over John Falconi's wheel in turn four and went through the catch fence and landed in the fourth turn bleachers. Mike Hornat also went out. Fans in the area escaped with minor injuries. John Anderson won the preliminary SK-Modified event. It was also on this night that the dream team of Greg Sacks and Ernie Wilsburg came to an end. Billy Colton, who would eventually head up Troyer Engineering, won the Friday night event at the Spencer Speedway and at New Egypt it was Tom Mauser over John Blewett Jr. Bob Potter added to his feature win total at Waterford on Saturday night as he beat out Roland LaPierreJr. Other Saturday night winners were SJ Evonsion at Riverside, Jim Spencer at Shangri La and Siege Fidenza at Lancaster. Seekonk rained out, as did Thompson on Sunday. In action on Long Island, Wayne Anderson won out over Don Howe and Richie Evans at Riverhead on Friday night and it was Evans over Tom Baldwin at Islip on Saturday night.

   Twenty five years ago, in 1988, Ted Christopher won his second race of the season at Stafford on Friday night. Point leader Bob Potter finished second with Mike Christopher, third. Phil Rondeau was the late model winner. At Monadnock, Marty Radwick won out over Reggie Ruggiero and Dwight Jarvis. John Jensen took the Saturday night win at Waterford and it was Bruce D'Assssandro over Reggie Ruggiero at Riverside. In other Saturday night action it was Dan Jivenelli over Wayne Anderson at Riverhead and Tony Hirschman over Lee Sherwood at Shangri-La. The Modified Tour was at Thompson on Sunday. Jim Spencer took the win over Mike Stefanik, Mike Mclaughlin, Brian Ross and Jamie Tomaino. Jeff Fuller won the SK-Modified feature in a car owned by Brad Lafountaine.

   Twenty years ago, in 1993, the NASCAR Modified Tour visited the Lee Raceway. The biggest crowd in the history of the track, 7500, was on hand. Reggie Ruggiero, in the Ed Cloce 69, took the lead from Jeff Fuller when he suffered a flat on lap 8 and went on to take the 100-lap win. Rick Fuller finished second followed by Satch Worley, Tom Baldwin and Charlie Pasteryak. At Stafford on Friday night, Ted Christopher recorded his 30th career win at the Nutmeg oval. Mike Christopher finished second with Mike Paquett, Bo Gunning and Curt Brainard rounding out the top five. Phil Rondeau took the modified feature at Waterford after a nine-car wreck triggered by Ted Christopher took out many of the front runners. At Riverside it was Chris Kopec over Jerry Marquis and Steve Park and at Riverhead, Mike Ewanitsko won the Charlie Jarzombek Memorial. Wayne Anderson finished second with Don Howe, third and Eddie Brunnhoelzl, fourth. In Winston Cup action at Watkins Glen, Mark Martin took the win after Kyle Petty spun and collected Dale Earnhardt Sr. with six laps to go. The Busch North Series was at Loudon where Kelly Moore took the win over Robbie Crouch, Mike Stefanik and Mike Mclaughlin.

   Fifteen years ago, in 1998, Bo Gunning won the No-Bull 100 at Stafford. Mike Christopher finished second with Bob Potter, third. The event was a re-scheduled rainout. Lloyd Agor won the regular event. The NASCAR Featherlite Modified Tour Series visited the Riverhead Raceway on Long Island. Hometown favorite Mike Ewanitsko took the 201-lap win. Howie Brode finished second with Tom Cravenho, third. Jamie Tomaino and Tony Ferrente rounded out the top five. Frank Vigliarolo led the first 17 laps until being passed by Ewanitsko. There were 13 cautions for 60 laps. At Waterford, Mike Holdredge recorded his second career win and at Riverside, Ricky Miller took the checker. In Sunday night action at Thompson, Bert Marvin held off Mike Christopher and Jim Broderick to take the win. Watkins Glen hosted the Winston Cup division and Busch North Series. Kim Baker outran John Preston and Joe Piezza in the Busch North Series portion and Jeff Gordon won the Winston Cup event. Mark Martin finished second. Ted Christopher drove in relief for Dick Trickle and had worked his way to second spot before he pitted. A sour engine robbed him of a high finish. It was also on this weekend that Bob Bahre announced that the IRL would be dropped from the Loudon schedule because of poor crowd draw and poor attendance of cars. Paul Sawyer canceled the modified race at Richmond because of a conflict with the powers in Daytona Beach and on a sad note, midget driver Len Duncan died at 87.

   Ten years ago in 2003, in Thursday night Thunder action at Thompson, rain threatened and in the end prevailed but not before most of the evening racing was completed. Eric Berndt inherited the lead just past the half way mark of the 30 lap Sunoco SK-type modified event when Bo Gunning made contact with early leader Bob Santos III. Santos was done for the night and Gunning restarted in the rear. Berndt led the rest of the way with a spirited battle with Todd Ceravolo and Bert Marvin. Ceravolo got a run on Berndt on the last lap and as the pair exited turn four heading for the checkered flag they were side by side. At the line it was Berndt by inches. Ceravolo settled for second and was followed by Marvin, Kerry Malone, Ted Christopher and Gunning. Scott Bronczyk won the Late Model feature, Jess Gleason, the Limited Sportsman and Mike Veins, the Mini-Stocks. The final event on the evening’s schedule was a 75 lap Pro Stock event that went 25 laps before the skies opened up. Just before the rain began David Berghman and Jeff Connors were battling for the lead when they tangled and ultimately collected the next ten cars behind them. At the Stafford Speedway on Friday night, the NASCAR Featherlite Modified Tour Series was in town for the ASB American Classic 150. There were 44 modifieds on hand. Chuck Hossfeld, driving the Bob Garbarino Mystic River Marina Dodge was the Busch Pole sitter. Eddie Flemke Jr. led from the opening green and appeared to have his season turned around until rain interrupted his quest for victory. The event went to caution on lap 44 and never went back to green as rain intensified. Flemke led the field under caution until lap 61 when the race was finally halted. The event was resumed the following week on Tuesday evening. Prior to the Featherlite Modified Tour event Ted Christopher annexed his 69th career win at Stafford as he survived numerous wrecks to win the 50 lap SK-Modified event. Christopher had spent most of Friday in Watkins Glen, N.Y. where he qualified 17th for Saturday’s Busch North Series event that was run at the historic road course. The Stafford Speedway announced that double features would be the rule for the remaining events in August. Early season and mid-season rain were the cause of numerous cancellations. Six SK Modified feature events and four late model features would be run in a three week span. The NASCAR Busch North Series event at Watkins Glen, N.Y. also fell victim to rain but the event was called after the half way mark and Ted Christopher was declared the winner after 41 of the scheduled 62 laps were run. While the leaders pitted, Christopher gambled that it would rain before he ran out of gas. His gamble paid off as one by one, those ahead of him pitted for fuel and he ultimately inherited the lead and eventual win.

   Five years ago in 2008, the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour ended their mid-summer break as they moved to the Riverhead (N.Y.) Raceway for the Miller Lite 140 on Saturday. 2. As part of a season-long celebration of 60 years of Modified champions, 1994 NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour titlist Wayne Anderson was honored. Jimmy Blewett registered his third career NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour when he took the checkered flag. Blewett was strong throughout the evening as he led three times for 80 laps, including the final 46. After qualifying fourth fastest, Blewett took the win in the second of two 25-lap heat races that preceded the 140-lap main. He was then able to parlay his qualifying success into running up front in the feature. After staring on the outside pole, Blewett led the first 10 circuits and swapped the lead with pole-sitter Bill Park twice in the early going. He would take his third and final lead of the night on a restart on lap 102. For the second race in a row, Ronnie Silk finished as the runner-up. With four top-10s in a row, including a win, Silk has moved up to seventh in the season points standings after a slow start. Making his first NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour start of the year after he captured the series title a year ago, Donny Lia finished third and was followed in the top five by Ted Christopher and Ryan Preece. The fifth place finish was the best of Preece’s young career. Ken Heagy, Mike Stefanik, Dan Jivanelli, Glenn Tyler and Eric Beers filled out the top 10. Chuck Hossfeld came home 18th in the race and suffered his first finish outside the top five this year, but will retain a 44-point lead over Christopher in the season standings.
As usual, the Riverhead event was slam-bang with lots of wrecks and extended caution periods. Of the 147 actually run, 95 were under caution. James Civali was fired on the spot during the event after he spun Rowan Pennick while under caution. NASCAR also felt it was intentional. Civali was found to be in violation of Section 12-4-A (actions detrimental to stock car racing; hitting another competitor’s car during a caution period) of the 2008 NASCAR rulebook. The violation occurred during the Aug. 2 race. As a result, Civali was suspended from the next two NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour events, suspended from NASCAR until Aug. 15, 2008, and placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31, 2008. It was announced that Woody Pitkat and Doug Coby would share the driving chores of the vacated King Modified.
The Thompson Speedway’s Thursday Night Thunder program got held up almost two hours because of showers but the track management and competitors persevered, getting the program in. Woody Pitkat made it two in a row in the Sunoco Modified division. Danny Fields scored the victory in an ultra-competitive 50 lap event for the Mini Stocks. Jeff Zuidema and Marc Palmisano shared Late Model victory lane in the division’s doubleheader. Mike O’Sullivan in the Pro Stocks; Larry Barnett in the Limited Sportsman; and Glenn Boss in the TIS Modifieds; turned their luck around with victories in their respective divisions.

   The Whelen All-American Series NASCAR race event at Stafford Motor Speedway saw Ted Christopher, who last won on June 13, score his 101st career win at the Connecticut oval. Christopher won the 40 lap SK Modified feature. Ryan Posocco picked up his fifth feature win of 2008 in the 30-lap Late Model feature, Earl Pelletier was a first time career winner in the 20-lap SK Light Modified feature, Rob Dow scored his second feature win of 2008 in the 20-lap Limited Late Model feature, and Kyle Casagrande came up a first time career winner in the 15-lap DARE Stock feature event.

   At the Waterford Speedbowl Ryan Morgan survived a host of restarts and finished with Jon Porter on his bumper en route to his first-ever Legends Car victory at the Wacky Wednesday racing program at the shoreline oval.

   Keith Rocco continued to make a name for himself as he won his fifth race of the season on Saturday night at the shoreline oval as he took the checkered flag in the 35-lap SK Modified featurel. Other feature winners were Joe Curioso III (Late Model), Walt Hovey Jr. (Sportsman), Phil Evans (Mini Stock) and Greg Stoehr (Northeastern Midget Association). Rocco passed defending champion Rob Janovic Jr. with 18 laps remaining. Janovic jumped out to an early lead and was trailed by Dennis Gada before a third-turn pileup involving Gada and several other frontrunners scattered the field. Rocco pressured Janovic for several laps before getting the advantage with an outside move during the feature's final restart. Jeff Pearl, Doug Coby and Gada rounded out the top five.

   Gary Danko, who had a highly regarded radio show with racing news had Waterford Speedbowl mortgage holder Rocky Arbitell on his program. Arbitell stated that the current foreclosure problems at the shoreline oval were precipitated by the fact that Terry Eames had violated the financial contract that he had with Arbitell. Arbitell further stated that he has no connection with current track operator Jerry Robinson. Like Eames, Robinson did not deserve to be called a promoter as he was rapidly gaining a reputation as being not friendly with competitors, media or fans. Robinson had, however, improved the concessions at the shoreline oval.

   In NASCAR Nationwide Series racing at rainy Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Canada, Ron Fellows splashed his way to victory in the event that ended 26 laps early because of heavy rain and poor visibility. It was the first NASCAR points race run on grooved rain tires. Fellows, driving the No. 5 Chevrolet for Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s JR Motorsports, led the final seven laps. Marcos Ambrose finished third after leading a race-high 27 laps.

   In Sprint Cup action, Carl Edwards won the Pennsylvania 500 at Pocono Raceway in Long Pond, Pa., gambling with a pit strategy he thought would cost him the race. Edwards pitted from the lead just before rain caused a 41-minute red flag and had the driver arguing with crew chief Bob Osborne over the decision. But the plan worked as the race wound up going to completion. Edwards stretched his last tank of fuel to earn his fourth victory of the season. The race started in sunshine and it appeared Mark Martin, who took the lead from pole-winner Jimmie Johnson at the start and took control would be the one to beat. But Martin had problems on two pit stops that put him back into the pack and then dark clouds began moving in, changing some strategies. Rain began falling on lap 127 of the 200-lap event and, moments later, Edwards and several other leaders ducked onto pit road. Nineteen other drivers, led by June Pocono winner Kasey Kahne and Martin, who led a race-high 55 laps, stayed out to gain track position, waiting to see if the rain might end the race prematurely. But the racing continued and Edwards found himself back on top for good when Martin, the last of the drivers on the alternate strategy, had to finally pit on lap 187. Tony Stewart was second, almost 4 seconds behind. Johnson was third. Kevin Harvick, who crashed with Joe Nemechek on the first lap, came back to finish fourth, just ahead of David Ragan.

   Last year, 2012 the Whelen Modified Tour Series visited the Stafford Motor Speedway on Friday night. Doug Coby, was not deterred by the 90 degree heat as he made it three-for-three in Whelen Modified Tour events at the historic half mile so far this year as he turned in another dominant performance for his fourth overall triumph of the 2012 season.

   Coby inherited the lead when leader Eric Beers came to pit road along with the majority of the front-runners on Lap 48. He more than held his own down the stretch, however, as the lead was never relinquished, or really in question. It was his fourth career victory at Stafford. Jimmy Blewett finished second with Todd Szegedy third. Beers and Ted Christopher rounded out the top five. Pole winner Ryan Preece, Jon McKennedy, Woody Pitkat, Eric Goodale and Justin Bonsignore completed the top 10. There were 27 cars on hand.

   With the victory, Coby extended his lead in the season standings on Preece to 309-268. There were 12 cars on the lead lap at the finish. Six cautions slowed the field for 30 laps. The most serious involved Steve Masse who was pinch hitting for Keith Rocco in the Boehler No. 3 and Frank Pallai who clobbered the wall in turn 3 on lap 44. Officials were forced to throw the red in order to repair the fence.

   NASCAR announced that leading NWMT Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender Keith Rocco, who had 42 career NASCAR Whelen All-American Series wins at Stafford, was recently injured in a practice accident at the Thompson Speedway and would not compete in the Stafford 150. Rocco underwent surgery in Farmington for left wrist injuries and expects to be on the sidelines at least two weeks. Rocco is also slated to be married to Cassie Ceravolo on Labor Day weekend.

   In what had to be considered one of the most exciting and competitive Modified events of the year Matt Hirschman picked up the win in the Seekonk Speedway Wednesday night Modified Madness event and the $10,000 first prize payoff. Starting sixth, Hirschman ran in the front pack until lap 40 when he tangled with Chris Pasteryak when they were slugging it out for the lead. Hirschman rallied from the rear. With three laps to go Ryan Preece was leading but got snookered when Hirschman made a cross-over move to steal the lead and go on for the eventual win. Preece held on for second, with Steve Masse third, Todd Annarummo and Pasteryak rounded out the top five. David Berghman, Eric Berndt, Wentz, Doug Coby oby and Louie Mechalidas rounded out the top ten.

   Hirschman's record for 2012 is noting short of fantastic. In addition to the $10,000 won at Seekonk Hirschman won $15,000 at Oswego, NY and $9,000 at the Star Speedway in Epping, NH, all in different cars.

   Thursday night Thunder at Thompson saw Ryan Preece romp to his sixth win of the season after driving out to almost a half a lap lead over the rest of the field. Dennis Perry took the top spot at the start with Kerry Malone attached to his bumper and Ryan Preece in third. On lap four, Todd Ceravolo challenged Preece by diving to the bottom. Preece retaliated by going high and drove around Malone for the second spot. Preece’s charge wasn’t finished, however, and on lap five, he drove by Perry for the lead. Perry held on to second while Ceravolo took over third. On lap seven, Ceravolo went by Perry for second, but caution flew just moments later slowing their pace. On the restart, Preece drove right back out front followed by Ceravolo and Malone. Coming up through the field, however, was Bobby Santos running in the sixth place. Preece stretched out his lead over Ceravolo as Santos charged by Malone on lap 16 to take over the third spot. Preece was on fire and, despite lapped traffic, continued to hold a dominating advantage over the rest of the field and went on to the checkers unchallenged. Ceravolo finished second with Bobby Santos, third. . Richie Gallup and Dennis Perry rounded out the top five.

   Other winners included Duane Noll who dominated the 20-lap New England Truck Series race, Cam McDermott in the Lite Modifieds, John Falconi in the Late Model division, Steve Kenneway in the Limited Sportsman division, and Scott Michalski in the Monster Mini Stocks. Paul LaPlante won the Antique Racers feature event.

   At the Stafford Motor Speedway on Friday night in NASCAR Whelen All-American Series feature action, Woody Pitkat was the big winner of the evening by doubling up and taking the checkered flag in both the SK Modified® and Late Model feature events. The SK Modified® victory was Pitkat’s second of the season and the Late Model win was his third of the season. Also scoring feature wins were Frank Cardile in the 20-lap SK Light feature, David Arute in the 20-lap Ltd. Late Model feature, and Cliff Saunders in the 15-lap DARE Stock feature. Cardile’s win was his first of the season, Arute’s win was the first win of his career, and Saunders’ win was his second of the season. Arute is the grandson of Jack Arute Sr.

   In Saturday night action at the Waterford Speedbowl it was a case of now you see it, now you don't. Keith Rocco who severely injured his wrist got some help from Doug Coby to win the SK Modified feature at the shoreline oval. After an opening caution after the drop of the green Rocco, who started the race, pitted and was replaced by Coby. Coby did a masterful job as he came from the rear to score the apparent win. The win was later dis-allowed when track officials stated that Rocco and Coby did not follow the rule book. The Waterford Speedbowl rulebook states: “Driver changes are permitted after the completion of the initial green flag lap only. Points and money will be awarded to the driver that completes the initial green flag lap.” After reviewing a video it was determined that Rocco did not complete the opening lap and went directly to the pit area for the driver change. The win was awarded to Coby. It is what it is! The responsibility lies with Rocco, Coby and the car owner as they failed to read and understand the rules of making a driver change. It would have made for a great story which perhaps would have put Rocco back in the lead of the NASCAR national standings.

   In NASCAR Southern Modified action at the Bowman Gray Stadium in Winston-Salem NC the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour made their annual stop at the historic oval. George Brunnhoelzl III led most of the way, hung on through a bumpy ending that altered the finish order of several cars trailing him and won the 199. Brunnhoelzl, a two-time and defending tour champion, won for the fourth time in six races this season. It was his third straight victory, matching Brian Loftin's record string for consecutive wins.

   Burt Myers, a five-time Bowman Gray champion, was the top qualifier for a tour-leading 24th time. He held the lead until Brunnhoelzl, who started from the outside pole, took charge in the 24th lap with a pass on the outside. Brunnhoelzl lost the lead temporarily with 17 laps left when Ryan nudged ahead. But Brunnhoelzl regained the lead for good after a tap that loosened Preece.

   Myers, who was driving with a severely sprained right wrist suffered in a wreck Friday night, battled Preece for the second spot until Preece sent Myers spinning. Myers finished ninth. Preece finished 11th, after getting collected in collision with Andy Seuss on the final lap. Tim Brown finished second. Canadian Cole Powell, who started at the rear of the 25-car field, finished third. Jason Myers was fourth and Andy Seuss fifth. L.W. Miller, who had won the previous two tour races at Bowman Gray, struggled in qualifying, started 17th and finished 13th in a race that had a tour-record 13 cautions.

   Tom Rogers Jr was the NASCAR Modified feature winner at the Riverhead Raceway on Long Island. Ted Christopher finished second.
Penske Racing announced that A.J. Allmendinger has been released as driver of the No. 22 Dodge Charger in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. Allmendinger was suspended indefinitely by NASCAR for a positive drug test.

   Jeff Gordon drove into the lead during a restart as leaders Jimmie Johnson and Matt Kenseth made contact, causing mayhem at the front of the pack. Moments later, the impending rain clouds opened up above the track and drenched the two-mile triangle, forcing NASCAR to call the race and give Gordon the surprise triumph in the Pennsylvania 400. It was Gordon’s first victory of the year, the 86th of his NASCAR Sprint Cup career and his record sixth at Pocono.

   Kasey Kahne managed to sneak through the mayhem, but not without cutting his right-rear tire. Thanks to the caution period slowing the cars down he was able to stay on track and finished the race in second.Martin Truex, Jr. was scored third, followed by Brad Keselowski and Tony Stewart.

   Elliott Sadler rebounded from the disappointment of his jumped-restart penalty last week in Indianapolis to win the NASCAR Nationwide race at Iowa.

   That’s about it for this week from 11 Gardner Drive, Westerly, and R.I.02891. Ring my chimes at 401-596-5467. E-mail:

Phil Smith has been a columnist for Speedway Scene and various
other publications for over 3 decades.

This week are several vintage racing photos of Charles "Chick" Stockwell who passed away July 29th of cancer,
Courtesy of & Dave Dyke's

Click on Photo for Full Sized

      Mannion Photo                                         Mannion Photo                                         Mannion Photo

   John Grady Photo                                     Mannion Photo                                                                        

Looking Back Archive

SourcePhil Smith / Looking Back A Bit
Posted: August 2, 2013

©2013 GeeLaw Motorsports/Wolf Pack Ventures, Inc.