Seuss found himself in familiar territory on
Saturday night – Victory Lane at Caraway Speedway.
Nearly three weeks after winning at the .455-mile
oval for the first time since Oct. 2011, Seuss was
right back there after winning the Zooland 150. It
was the Hampstead, N.H., driver’s eighth win at the
track and the 14th of his tour career which gives
him sole possession of second place on the all-time
“We definitely have it going in the right direction
right now,” said Seuss. “We were just being patient
early on and set ourselves up for the end.”
After starting from the second position Seuss took
the lead from pole sitter Burt Myers on Lap 63.
“He was working pretty hard to keep that pace and
our car was going pretty well,” said Seuss. “I just
waited for an opportunity to pass him clean.”
Seuss’ No. 11 Tammie Davis/Phoenix Pre-Owned
Chevrolet had everything it needed following the
“The guys have the halfway adjustments figured out
right now,” he said. “They get it dialed in and it
has whatever I need.”
Second-place finisher George Brunnhoelzl III – the
career leader with 20 Southern Modified victories –
extended his lead in the point standings to 30 over
Kyle Ebersole with just two races remaining.
Brunnhoelzl was right there with Seuss, who led a
race-high 88 laps, down the stretch, but could never
mount a solid challenge for the lead. Brunnhoelzl is
looking for his third straight tour title and fourth
“Our car was good tonight, but just not as good as
Andy’s,” said Brunnhoelzl. “We’ll just march on to
the next one, get to Victory Lane and see what’s
John Smith matched his season-best finish of third,
which he recorded his last time out at Caraway on
Sept. 8, en route to his fourth straight top-five
“We’ve really gained on this place,” Smith said.
“The guys have worked hard on this car and I can’t
thank them enough. We’ll head over to Southern
National and see what we have, but we’ve gained a
lot over the last several weeks.”
J.R. Bertuccio and Jason Myers finished in fourth
and fifth, respectively, while Danny Bohn, Bryan
Dauzat, Burt Myers, Gary Putnam and Mike Norman
completed the top 10.
Earlier in the day, Burt Myers won his second
consecutive Coors Light Pole Award and 26th of his
career to extend his career mark in that category.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour returns to
the track Saturday, Oct. 5 for the G-Oil 150 at
Southern National Raceway Park in Kenly, N.C., to
make up a race that was postponed due to weather on
NASCAR Whelen Southern
Modified Tour - Zooland 150 Results - UNOFFICIAL
Saturday At Caraway Speedway, Asheboro, N.C.
Lap length: 0.455 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (2) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 150 laps,
2. (3) George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y.,
3. (7) John Smith, Mount Airy, NC, Chevrolet, 150.
4. (9) JR Bertuccio, Centereach, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
5. (13) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150.
6. (8) Danny Bohn, Freehold, NJ, Chevrolet, 150.
7. (12) Bryan Dauzat, Alexandria, LA, Chevrolet, 150.
8. (1) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, NC, Ford, 150.
9. (15) Gary Putnam, Concord, NC, Chevrolet, 150.
10. (14) Mike Norman, Lewisville, NC, Chevrolet, 148.
11. (10) AJ Winstead, Richmond, VA, Chevrolet, 147.
12. (5) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, PA, Ford, 147.
13. (16) Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, FL, Chevrolet, 147.
14. (4) Tim Brown, Rural Hall, N.C., Chevrolet, 139.
15. (6) Luke Fleming, Mount Airy, NC, Ford, 128, accident.
16. (11) David Calabrese, Toms River, N.J., Chevrolet, 65, rear end.
Time of Race: 0 hours 57 minutes 37 seconds
Margin of Victory: .456 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: B. Myers (102.980 mph, 15.906 seconds)
Caution Flags: 4 for 19 laps.
Lead Changes: 1 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: B. Myers 1-62; A. Seuss 63-150.
Standings: 1. G. Brunnhoelzl III, 423; 2. K. Ebersole, 393; 3. A.
Seuss, 384; 4. B.
Myers, 377; 5. T. Brown, 368; 6. J. Smith, 362; 7. J. Myers, 354; 8. G.
Putnam, 349; 9.
L. Fleming, 328; 10. J. Bertuccio, 325.