The Chrome Horn - Looking Back A Bit with Phil Smith


October 10, 2014

  Sixty five years ago in 1949 Charlie Barry was the 20 lap feature winner at the Buffalo Civic Stadium in New York.

  Sixty years ago in 1954 the New London Waterford Speedbowl ran their rescheduled 50 lap Sportsman Fall Championship. Joe McNulty took the win before rain came in to wash out the non Ford feature.

  Fifty-five years ago in 1959, Lionel Arel was the Friday night winner on the dirt at the Stafford Springs Speedway. Len Duncan was the winner of an ARDC Midget race at Danbury. Johnny Sandberg was the top dog at the New London-Waterford Speedbowl as he won the 25 lap Sportsman feature on Sunday afternoon. Other winners at the shoreline oval were Billy Greco in the non-Fords and Ben Hewitt in the Bombers.

  Fifty years ago in 1964, Marvin Panch was the Grandnational winner at the North Wilkesboro Speedway in North Carolina.

  Forty five years ago in 1969, the Norwood Arena, long a part of the tri-track-modified circuit in New England ran its last Modified event. The track would continue for a couple more years but would run only late models. Roland LaPierre Sr. won the final event. He was followed by Eddie Flemke, Fred DeSarro, Bugsy Stevens, Bob Melnick and Billy Schulz. Freddie Schulz was the final modified driving champion and Dick Armstrong was the final modified championship owner. An industrial park now sits on the former site of the high banked 1/4 mile speedway in Norwood, Mass. The Norwood Arena Speedway was the fastest 1/4 Mile NASCAR stock car racing track in the 1960's. The Modifieds ran their final event of the year at Stafford on Sunday. Leo Cleary, driving the Sonny Koszela No.15 took the win over Smokey Boutwell, Ed Yerrington, Bill Slater, DeSarro and Flemke. Airborne Park in Plattsburg, N.Y. ran a double point event also on Sunday. Jerry Cook took the win over Dick Fowler and Bugsy Stevens. Stevens was trying to overcome a 441 point deficit that Jerry Cook held for the NASCAR Modified Championship.

  Forty years ago in 1974, Stafford's Fall Final featured 80 lap events for the Modifieds and 80 laps for the Busch North division. Bugsy Stevens took the modified win over Richie Evans, Geoff Bodine and Jerry Cook. Bob Dragon was the late model winner.

  Thirty years ago in 1984, the Oswego Speedway closed out their season on Saturday with the Modifieds, which saw Jim Spencer take the win over Richie Evans, Brian Ross and Roger Treichler. Stafford ran their Fall Final on Sunday with Reggie Ruggiero taking the win. Richie Evans finished second and sewed up the Northeast Regional and NASCAR National Modified Championship. Brett Bodine finished third.

  Twenty five years ago in 1989, the Modified Tour Series was at the Shangri-La Speedway. Jeff Fuller, driving for Art Barry, took the win. Steve Park finished second and was followed by Rick Fuller and Satch Worley. Also on tap that weekend was the Fall Finale at Waterford where Dennis Gada took the win.

  Twenty years ago in 1994,Waterford ran their Fall Finale. Todd Ceravolo took advantage of a blown engine in leader John Andersonís modified and walked off with the season ending win. Ceravolo started on the pole and led the early going until getting passed by Anderson. Rob Janovic, driving the Mike Gada no.21 drove a very competitive race and finished second. George "Moose" Hewitt finished third and was followed by Jerry Pearl, Scott Spaulding, Phil Rondeau and Jim Broderick. Jay Stuart won the Late Model main. In Winston Cup action at Charlotte, Dale Jarrett took the win after a dominant Geoff Bodine blew a head gasket. Terry Labonte was the Grandnational winner.

  Fifteen years ago, in 1999, the Thompson World Series and the D. Anthony Venditti Memorial at Seekonk rained out. Fifty-eight Modifieds were at Thompson with Tony Hirschman taking the pole. It was damp but not raining up in central New York State. The Race of Champions was run at Oswego with 53 entries. Chuck Hossfeld took the win over Mike Muldoon and Lee Sherwood. Ted Christopher was a pre race favorite but crashed out of the event. The big event of the weekend was the annual DIRT-Eckerd 300 K at Syracuse. Kenny Tremont took the lead from Vic Coffey on lap 115 of the 188-lap event and went on to record the biggest victory of his career. Tremont received $86,525.Ken Brightbill finished second and pocketed $31,200.Also on this weekend it was announced that NASCAR had awarded a weekly racing sanction to Claremont Speedway for 2000. RJ Reynolds announced that they were discontinuing sponsorship of NASCAR's weekly racing series because of results of tobacco litigation. Chrysler announced that they would be returning to Winston Cup racing with Ray Everham one of the key players. Michael Waltrip scored a Busch Grandnational win at Charlotte after Mike McLaughlin ran out of gas on the last lap while leading. Jeff Gordon won the rain delayed Winston Cup event that had to be run on Monday.

  Ten years ago in 2004, the Thompson Speedway had released their final point standings for 2004. Todd Ceravolo, with five wins included with 16 top 5ís was the Sunoco SK-type Modified Champion. Ceravolo won a close battle over Jeff Malave. Malave scored two wins included with 15 top 5ís. Ted Christopher, with four wins, ended up in third spot. Kerry Malone and Eric Berndt rounded out the top five. Corey Hutchings, with nine wins, took the Late Model Championship. Dennis Botticelo, with two wins, finished second. Ryan Posocco, with two wins, ended up in third spot. Charles Bailey III, 3 wins, and Marc Palmisano, 2 wins, rounded out the top five.

  The Waterford Speedbowl closed out their racing season with the Town Fair Fall Finale. With numerous track division titles on the line competition was intense to say the least. In addition to qualifying for the trackís regular divisions on Saturday features were held for All Star Truck where Chris Correll took the win. In the Legends Jeff Paul made it five out of eight for the year, Pro Four Modifieds where George Sherman took the win and two divisions of X-Cars where Brad Vogelsong and Chris Avery recorded wins.

  On Sunday, the NEMA Midgets started it off with a 25-lap feature. Ben Sikes took the win after pre race favorite Bob Santos III dropped out with a smoking engine. Next out was a 50 lapper for the Mini-Stocks. Richard Brooks took the lead just past the half way mark and held off Joe Godbout for the win. Glen Colvin was awarded the division championship. Following the Minis were the Sportsman. Roger Perry became the surprise winner after the front three, Ed Gertsch, Norm Root and Keith Rocco, got tangled up in turn one with five laps to go. Gertsch and Root spun and were put to the rear. Officials felt that Rocco was guilty of rough riding and put him to the rear also. It was later learned that officials had made a bad call as Gertsch had in fact suffered a flat tire, which caused him to check up. Rocco did touch him slightly but should have not been put to the back. In a determined bid, Rocco came from the rear of the field after the restart and finished third and won his division title. Corey Hutchings had previously sewed up the Late Model division title. Hutchings put icing on the cake as he drove to a convincing win over Allen Coats and Ed Reed Jr.

  Dennis Charette took the lead from Chris Pasteryak on a lap 51 restart and went on to take the win in the Modified 100. It was a game of luck and wits between Dennis Gada and Eddie Reed Jr. to see who would become the 2004 Modified Champion. Gadaís luck soured right from the start when he developed a smoky power steering leak. After repeated pit stops while the field was under caution for miscellaneous spins Gadaís crew was able to make repairs and keep their driver on the lead lap. Gada later got collected in a spin but didnít do any damage. Reed, on the other hand, held a fair lead going into the event and only had to stay out of harmís way and finish to garner his first title. Reeds luck began a downturn on lap 59 when his left front tire was beginning to lose air. A caution on lap 65 allowed him to pit and make a change. Restarting in the rear as the field took the green on lap 68 Reed got collected in a wreck triggered by Shawn Monahan whom bounced off of Doug Coby. The wreck all but sheared off the right front suspension and tire from Reedís car. He somehow was able to drive to the pit area where an army was on hand to assist the Gordon Rogers crew in making repairs. Sheer determination on the part of his crew got him back in competition. In the meantime Gada had worked his way back to the front and was on Charetteís bumper at the finish. Reed was able to limp home and despite losing a lap in the closing stages finished 17th to win the division championship. Ron Yuhas Jr. finished fourth with Chris Pasteryak, fifth.

  The Nextel Cup along with the Busch Racing Series were in Kansas City last weekend. Joe Nemechek took the Busch Series event over Greg Biffle. He carried his winning ways over to Sunday as he also won the Nextel Cup event over Ricky Rudd.

  Ted Christopher was among the missing at Waterford. Christopher spent the weekend in Virginia at the Martinsville Speedway and at the Concord Motorsports Park in North Carolina. Christopher started dead last at Concord and took the win. At Martinsville he missed the qualifying cut.

  Tim Fuller won the DIRT Eckered 200 at Syracuse. Fuller was running third on the final lap when leader Kenny Tremont ran out of gas and second place runner Matt Sheppard shredded a tire. Fuller collected $50,000 for his efforts.

  Five years ago in 2009, At the Waterford Speedbowl the Fall Finale wound up the racing season at the shoreline oval. Ryan Morgan overcame adversity to checker the 20-lap Legends Car race, leading Saturday afternoon action. Bill Leonard won the NEATV Truck Series race and Wayne Coury Jr. won the Outlaw Stock race. Keith Rocco would have to wait another year before he could say he had won Modified championships at all three Connecticut NASCAR sanctioned ovals. Rocco and Ron Yuhas Jr were locked in a battle for the SK Modified Championship as the shoreline oval closed out its season. It all came to an end for Rocco when he pitted with 52 laps remaining in the close-out 100 lapper. Rocco missed the restart and virtually handed Yuhas the title. Rocco had been leading the 100 lapper when he chose to pit during a caution when something didnít feel right in the front end of his car. Rocco ended up losing numerous laps and ended up finishing in 17th spot. Yuhas finished second behind Jeff Paul.

  As is usual, Modified racing at the Speedbowl is rough and tumble and survival of the fittest or luckiest. Joe Perry and Dennis Charette led the 27-car SK Modified field and championship chase to green for their 100-lap event. The fireworks started off turn four of lap one when Tom Abele Jr., who started third, and Charette made contact. That crossed the pair up in front of a stacked field behind, resulting in an 11-car pig pile entering turn one.

  All eyes were on pointís contenders Ron Yuhas Jr. and Keith Rocco. Heads up driving helped them from getting collected in the incident, as cars literally scattered in every direction around them. Dennis Gada, Jeff Pearl, Allen Coates and Matt Gallo were among those headed pit side in need of repair but able to continue on the lead lap of the race.

  The restart proved no better, as Abele and Janovic came together off turn four coming to the green flag, ending with Abeleís car at rest against the turn one wall after making race ending contact with the wall. Once green, Jeff Paul moved inside of Perry to take over at the front. Racing only went a few laps before something broke on Pearlís car, sending the Salem driver hard into the turn one wall on lap seven. When the green returned, only one more lap was able to be completed before caution flew again for a single car spin. That lap proved key however, as Rocco used a bump and run move on Paul to take over the lead off turn two on lap 10.

  Rocco ran at the front with Paul and Janovic giving chase. Yuhas moved around the outside of Perry for fourth and closed in on the top three. Caution on lap 26 for a spin by Charette slowed what was the first look at how the race for the win and championship would shape up. Rocco had pressed early to get out front, with Yuhas in tow looking all over Janovic for third. Rocco lead through lap 38 when Paul, challenging outside, capitalized on a slip by Rocco to reclaim the top spot. Paul stretched out his lead as Rocco began backing up, something appearing to go away on his machine. Caution came out on lap 47 when Shawn Solomito spun off the backstretch. Rocco used that opportunity to duck in to the pits for service on what turned out to be a broken panhard bar. The championship hunt turned when the race returned green with Rocco still in the pits as his team made the repairs.

  Paul reclaimed the lead when the action returned with Yuhas in second, Dennis Gada moving to third, and Janovic battling Mark Bakaj for fourth. Yuhas pressed Paul at the front. Gada sat three cars back in third. Further back, Bakaj took fourth but Janovic looked to take it back. Those two came together in turn four with 20 laps remaining to bring out caution.

  That was the final restart Paul needed to master. He did, going on to his third victory of the season. Yuhas settled for second, good enough to clinch his first track title in his 10th season competing at the track.

  Dennis Gada, finished third and was followed by Allen Coates and Matt Gallo.

  Other winners in the Fall Finale were Ronnie Oldham Jr. in the Street Stocks, Tim Jordan in the Late Models and Lou Bellisle III in the Mini Stocks.

  Next up at the Waterford Speedbowl was the never ending saga between track owner Terry Eames and his creditors who had a foreclosure slated for October 31.

  The True Value Modified Racing Series converged on the Seekonk Speedway for the annual D. Anthony Venditti Classic. Mike Stefanik scored his first ever win at what is known as the Cement Palace. Starting 22nd, the former NASCAR Modified Champion didnít break into the top ten until lap 60 of the 100 lap event. Hooked up, Stefanik broke into the top five by lap 70 and set his sights on the victory. By lap 85 Stefanik had zeroed in on the bumper of leader Dwight Jarvis after passing Rowan Pennink for the second spot. Also on lap 85 Jim Dolan spun, setting the stage for a restart, which would see Stefanik, vault into the lead for the eventual win. Jarvis held on to finish second and was followed by Pennink, Steve Masse, Ryan Preece, Richard Savory and Mike Douglas.

  Matt Sheppard came into Super DIRT Week in Syracuse, NY with two big goals. One was his own to achieve, while the other required help from a competitor. Sheppard did his part by winning Sundayís Rite Aid 200. The second goal, winning the Mr. DIRT points championship, eluded him by two points when New Jerseyís Brett Hearn finished 20th to win the season title. Had Hearn finished 21st, Sheppard would have reached both goals. With 20 laps to go, the goal of winning the race looked unreachable. But then race leader Jimmy Phelps ran into the first of three problems he would have on the day. His car began to sound as if something major was wrong under the hood. Sheppard, who was in second place, said he could see that Phelps was having trouble.

  Even with the car not running well, Phelps led until just 10 laps remained. Thatís when Sheppard passed him on the backstretch. On the next lap, Phelps shredded his right rear tire. Once he lost the tire, he came to pit road and encountered problem number three. The team was planning to get him back out to finish the race, but as Phelps tried to leave he realized he no longer had high gear. And that ended his day. Tim McCreadie, finished second despite trouble on his final pit stop. Before the race, teams had expressed concern about the congestion that would be on pit road with most teams taking a mandatory pit stop soon after the halfway point of the race. That was exactly what happened, and McCreadie got caught behind another car in his pit stall. As he tried to exit, he made contact with the other car twice. Fortunately for him, it only cost him track position, and the damage to his car was minimal. Late in the race with only five laps to go, he was able to get around fellow North Country driver Tim Fuller to take second. He would not have time to catch the race winner and was left to wonder what might have been.

  In NASCAR action at Fontana, CA, Joey Logano simply got mad after Greg Biffle put him in the wall Saturday in the Nationwide Series race at Auto Club Speedway. His father, Tom, tried to get even, and lost his NASCAR credentials in the process. Logano recovered to win the 300-mile race, pulling away from Brian Vickers over the final two laps to pick up his fifth series win of the year, and second in a row. The elder Logano approached Biffle's car in pit lane after the race and made at least one hand gesture in Biffle's direction before a NASCAR official intervened.

  Tom Logano was apparently upset about the scrape Biffle and his son on lap 50. The veteran was challenging for the lead when he hinted over the radio that he was going to put the young driver in the fence. Moments later Biffle slid up the track while passing Logano on the inside, a move that slightly damaged Logano's No. 20 Toyota.

  In NASCAR Sprint Cup action at Fontana, Jimmie Johnson surged past Juan Pablo Montoya and easily survived a late challenge from Hendrick Motorsports teammate Jeff Gordon to take the win.

  Gary Danko's Speedway Line Report radio show reported on Monday, Nov. 6 that US Marshalls would be auctioning off the racing equipment from Jim Galante's Mystique Motorsports operation, which included six fully built or partially built Whelen Modified Tour and SK Modifieds, a Freightliner tractor trailer and race car hauler. Various racing equipment would also be included in the auction, which would take place at Metro Auto Body and Towing at 722 Wethersfield Ave. in Hartford. Included in the inventory were two complete NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour cars with Ford motors, two NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour car chassis under construction, one complete SK Modified car with a Chevrolet engine, one SK Modified under construction and tons of various racing parts plus a 53 foot Featherlite Race Car trailer with Tractor.

  The Charlotte Business Journal reported that Motorsports Authentics needed extensions to pay off royalties and to renegotiate contracts with various teams or it could end up in bankruptcy, according to a Speedway Motorsports Inc. filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

  Owned 50-50 by track operating rivals Speedway Motorsports (TRK) and International Speedway Corp., Motorsports Authentics held the rights to sell clothing, diecasts and other merchandise for many of the top drivers and teams in the sport, including Dale Earnhardt Jr., Hendrick Motorsports and Stewart-Haas Racing. Motorsports Authentics stopped paying certain guaranteed royalties under several license agreements during the summer of 2009 when royalties on the projected sales were less than the guaranteed minimum royalties, according to the SEC filing. The company had received notice from licensors alleging default if Motorsports Authentics didnít pay the unearned royalties by certain deadlines.

  The Daytona Beach News-Journal reported that Grand-Am Series driver J.C. France, the son of Grand-Am founder Jim France and the grandson of NASCAR founder Bill France was arrested on Oct.8 in Daytona on drug charges. Also arrested was Russell Van Richmond, the son of one of Jim France's former wives. The 43-year old J.C. France and the 40-year old Richmond were both charged with DUI and possession of crack cocaine.

  Last year, 2012, internet racing news site RaceDayCt announced that Hill Enterprises, which owns the No.79 driven by Woody Pitkat on the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Series, would cease operations following the conclusion of their season at the Thompson Speedway. It is another spike in the heart of NASCAR's oldest series. While those at NASCAR continue to pat themselves on the back the Modifieds continue to die a slow death. The recent Fall Final at Stafford drew 25 cars, one less than at Loudon in September. The July Loudon event drew a season high of 32. The slimmest field was at Monadnock where 23 of the ground pounders showed.

  If one were to look at the big picture of the future of NASCAR Modified Tour Racing one would see a bleak one. In addition to the Hills dropping out it looks like Mike Stefanik's days are numbered. Jamie Tomaino has said that once he sells his house in New Jersey he will pack it in and head south and Bob Garbarino, now in his mid-70's has hinted that his days on the tour are numbered. Where does that leave the Modified Tour in 2014? Maybe 21 or 22 cars if they are lucky.

  Mario Fiore, who has 35 Modified Tour wins to his credit pretty much hit the nail on the head when he said " Everybody is trying to come-up with reasons why racing in our area is going down the tubes. Ever hear of Super Asphalt Week ???? Hell NO cause there ain't one. There is NO marque event at this level of racing on asphalt." He added, " New Hampshire pays $10 to 14 thousand, Bristol pays under $10 thousand, the Stafford Sizzler a total joke but the big DIRT event at Syracuse pays 50 large. Look no further for one of the reasons why racing in our area is failing miserably"

  Keith Rocco scored a "two-fer" at the Waterford Speedbowl on Saturday and in the process re-wrote track history. Rocco wrapped up the 2013 season at Connecticut shoreline oval with 24 wins overall, breaking the record of 23 wins in one season set by Don Collins in 1960. Rocco won the rain delayed 50 lap Late Model feature and the 50 lap SK Modified Fall Finale. Rocco's scorecard shows he won 10 of the 24 SK Modified features run plus 12 of the 21 Late Model races run. He also scored wins in the Pro Four Modifieds and in the Valenti Modified Racing Series.

  Other Saturday winners at the Speedbowl were Josh Galvin who scored a popular victory in the Street Stock race and Garrett Denton who won a special Mini Stock Shootout event.

  Roccoís record-setting victory in the SK Modifiedģ race was not easy. He made a steady march to the front to move into second position on lap-16, trailing leader Kyle James. James, looked strong at the front and pulled away from Rocco during a green flag run that brought the race to lap-33. A caution flag enabled Rocco to pull outside of James for the restart, which he timed perfectly to power into the lead as the field completed lap-34. James wrecked out of second position on lap-38 trying to mount a challenge to reclaim the lead from Rocco, looking to have a car to contend. He made contact with the front stretch retaining wall before his car came to rest in turn one with suspension damage. Rocco had to master two restarts over Ted Christopher the rest of the way to earn the victory. Rocco got away following the final one to race to the win, his tenth of the year in the SK Modifiedsģ. Christopher finished in second and Craig Lutz of Miller Place, NY was third.

  The Valenti Modified Racing Series was at the Lee USA Speedway last weekend as a part of their annual Octoberfest program. Thirty Modifieds were on hand. Tommy Barrett started 12th, pitted during a caution on lap 56 when his crew changed left side tires around. Barrett then made a determined march to the front to take the lead from Steve Masse on lap 91 and went on to score the win. Masse ennded up second with Jon McKennedy, third. Richard Savory and Les Hinckley rounded out the top five. Fourteen cars were on the lead lap at the finish.

  The Modifieds of DIRT had their big weekend at the Syracuse, N.Y. Fairgrounds. Billy Dunn led the Salute the Troops 150 at Syracuse one mile oval on Saturday until he ran out of gas while taking the white flag, giving the win to Brett Hearn on the final lap. On Sunday, Dunn watched others run out of gas in front of him and took the lead with just three laps to go when leader Stewart Freisen's tank ran dry. He held on from there to win the Syracuse 200 as Super DIRT Week XLII wrapped up at the New York State Fairgrounds. Just 24 hours before, Dunn stood alone in the pit area wondering what might have been. But on Sunday, he was standing on the roof of his big-block modified celebrating the biggest moment of his racing career in front of a capacity crowd.

  Early on, Friesen was the man to beat as he held off defending race winner Brett Hearn until a caution on lap 83 sent most of the front runners to the pit area, including Dunn who was 11th at the time.

  Two-time winner Vic Coffey would assume the lead until he ran put of gas on lap 118. Kenny Tremont had pitted earlier on lap 44 and was hoping to run up front for awhile before sneaking back down pit road again for his final stop. Tremont set a blistering pace, lapping cars as quickly as he could, but a 71-lap, green-flag run forced him to the pits for fuel under green, costing him a lap and the victory. That left Tim McCreadie in the top spot with Friesen and Hearn right on his tail. McCreadie was one of those drivers who was hoping to run the final 117 laps without a stop. But during a red flag with just nine laps to go his right-rear tire went flat, forcing him to the pits and out of the lead. And Dunn noticed that as he sat just inside the top ten. Dunn also pitted on lap 83 when all of the cars at the front of the pack came down pit road. Most of those cars decided to chance it and run the rest of the race without stopping. But unlike most years when it could have been relatively easy to run the final 117 laps without a stop, this year the caution laps after lap 175 would not count, making for a race considerably longer than the traditional 200 laps. So Dunn pitted again at lap 166, determined to make sure he had enough fuel for the end of the race, no matter how long it took.

  When the race went back to green after the red flag, two-time Syracuse 200 winner Friesen was in the top spot and Dunn was just inside the top 5. First Billy Decker ran out of fuel followed by Hearn, Jimmy Phelps and Friesen, who slowed on lap 198 leaving Dunn alone out front. But after losing the lead on the final lap the day before, he knew that anything could happen. "I wanted to see that white flag," Dunn said. "I knew that once we crossed the white flag, even if a yellow came out, that would be the end. Once we got the white flag I knew nobody was going to pass me because I could go as hard as I needed to. That last lap was kind of enjoyable." It was also enjoyable for college student Larry Wight as he also benefited from others running out of gas in front of him with a second-place finish. And this was after he saw his plans go out the window earlier with his stop on lap 83.

  In NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour action at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Burt Myers took advantage of Ryan Preece's bad luck to take the lead and eventual win. Preece had set fast time and lead 138 of the season-ending UNOH Southern Slam 150 on the 1/4 mile flat track. Preece had engine trouble in the form of a broken rocker arm. Kyle Ebersole finished second with George Brunnhoelzl III in third spot. Brunnhoelzl, the first driver to win four tour titles overall, wrapped up his third straight tour championship by taking the green flag. Tim Brown was fourth, and Danny Bohn fifth.

  In NASCAR racing action at Charlotte, Kyle Busch raced to his 11th Nationwide victory of the year Friday night, giving him a season sweep on the 1 1/2-mile track. Busch edged Nationwide title contenders Austin Dillon and Sam Hornish Jr. to win for the eighth time in the series at his favorite track. Busch and wife Samantha donated the winnings from the race to the Pretty in Pink Foundation that provides financial assistance and support to underinsured and uninsured North Carolinians with breast cancer. The victory pushed Busch's series record to 62. He has 19 victories this year in NASCAR's three national series, also winning four times each in Cup and Truck. Overall, he has 124 victories in the three series, winning 28 times in Cup and 34 in the Truck circuit.

  Brad Kesoloski was the Sprint Cup winner.

  Thatís about it for this week from 11 Gardner Drive, Westerly, and R.I.02891. Ring my chimes at 401-596-5467. E-mail:

Phil Smith has been a columnist for Speedway Scene and various
other publications for over 3 decades.

Looking Back Archive

SourcePhil Smith / Looking Back A Bit
Posted: October 10, 2014

2007-2014  © GeeLaw Motorsports/RGeePro/Wolf Pack Ventures, Inc.   Do not duplicate or redistribute in any form without written prior consent