Erick Rudolph of Ransomville, N.Y., and Ted
Christopher of Plainville, Ct., flexed their muscles
Friday in the Battle Trenton Three Quarter (TQ)
Midget Twin Twenty Lap feature races inside Sun
National Bank Center in Trenton.
the companion Champ Kart 20-lap feature, Chris Daley
of Pleasant Valley, N.Y., a karting veteran of
fifteen years, outran a star studded field to win a
highly competitive feature.
The split-field TQ Midget
races were a prelude to Saturday night’s Battle Of
Trenton, to be run over a 40-lap distance. Tickets
still remain for the Saturday night racing action
and can be purchased at the box office.
In the first TQ Twin Twenty lap race, Rudolph
powered his way by leader Joey Payne not once, but
twice, after the first early race double file
restart pass was negated by an immediate caution
flag. Once in front the second time, Rudolph outran
his Mike Lafler chassis teammate Patrick Emerling,
Canadian Mike Lichty, Pennsylvanian Zane Zeiner, and
Payne, who faded late in the race.
The second TQ event was all Ted Christopher, who
gained the lead on lap one and held off a determined
race long threat from Howell, N.J., favorite Jimmy
Blewett. Shawn Nye, driving a car that first saw
competition in 1996, completed a last turn, last lap
pass of Anthony Sesely to finish third. Geoff Sutton
drove a remarkable race to finish fifth in Blu
Metz’s vintage TQ.
Two spectacular accidents punctuated race two. In
the first, Steve Craig overrode a spinning Brett
Michalski in turn three, then flipped completely
over the Jersey barrier fence. He was not hurt.
Later in the race, Lou Cicconi, Jr., running third,
hopped over Blewett’s wheel on a restart, became
airborne and hit the outside turn two fence head on.
Like Craig, Cicconi walked away with out injury.
Daley’s winning Champ Kart ride in the 20-lap
feature was achieved over Joseph Pacovich, Andrew
Swisher, Cale Ross and Danny Bouc. Pacovich led
handily at mid-race only to become ensnared in a
tangle with lapped traffic, forcing him to restart
the race in mid-pack. He made it back to second but
had nothing for Daley. Swisher, Ross and Bouc all
ran as high as second at one point during the race
before finishing in that order.
First TQ Midget Feature (20 Laps): 1.Erick
Rudolph, 2. Patrick Emerling, 3. Mike Lichty, 4.
Zane Zeiner, 5. Joey Payne,
6. Andy Nye, 7. Richie Pratt Jr., 8. Jonathan Reid,
9. Ryan Flores, 10. Marc Rogers, 11. Rob Neely, 12.
13. Kyle Reinhardt, 14. Avery Stoehr, 15. Andrew
Krause, 16. Jon Gambuti, 17. Luke Thomas, 18. Andy
19. Buddy Sload, 20. Ryan Tidman.
Second TQ Midget Feature (20 Laps): 1. Ted
Christopher, 2. Jimmy Blewett, 3. Shawn Nye, 4.
5. Geoffrey Sutton, 6. Mike Iles, 7. Neal Williams,
8. Tony DiMattia, 9. Earl Paules, 10. Matt Janisch,
11. Matt Roselli,
12. Tim Buckwalter, 13. Kyle Hieber, 14. Mike Osite,
15. Lou Cicconi, 16. Steve Yankowski, 17. Steve
18. Brett Michalski, 19. Ryan Susice. DNS: Carl
Champ Kart Feature (20 Laps): 1. Chris Daley,
2. Joseph Pacovich, 3. Andrew Swisher, 4. Cale Ross,
5. Danny Bouc,
6. John Berger, 7. Ron Midford Jr., 8. Al DeSantis,
9. Jack Handley Jr., 10. Alex Colasanto, 11. Brianna
12. Stephen Beattie, 13. Michael Schickner, 14.
Dakota Kessler, 15. Ricky Collins, 16. DJ Doyle, 17.
18. Dalton Rovira, 19. Paul Hartwig Jr., 20. Anthony