November 27, 2015
Last year, 2014, The never-ending saga and soap opera at the
Waterford continued. Internet racing web site RaceDayCT reported Ed DeMuzzio,
a creditor in the foreclosure case involving the Speedbowl, filed a “motion
to reconsider” with the court, asking the judge that approved the sale price
set at the auction to reconsider that ruling. The motion is not a formal
appeal of the approval.
DeMuzzio had been facing a Thursday, Dec 6 deadline to file a formal
appeal of the approval of the sale price set at the Oct. 18 foreclosure
auction. “We’re going to file what is called a motion to reconsider and ask
that the judge reconsider or reexamine his earlier ruling with regard to our
motion for our hearing to set aside a new sale date,” said DeMuzzio’s
attorney, Michael Bonnano. “That is not an appeal. It is a practice book
provision that allows the court to do exactly what it says, which is
reconsider the earlier ruling. “It can be withdrawn at anytime, just like
the appeal can, but it’s something that tolls the appeal the period. That’s
the intent at this time, to ask the court to reconsider its earlier
A formal appeal of the approval of sale could delay transfer of the
property from owner Terry Eames to Bemer for more than a year and could put
the 2015 racing season at the track in jeopardy. DeMuzzio is at risk of
losing $250,000, which includes about $110,000 invested in the property and
about $140,000 in accrued interest, if the court approves the sale price.
On Nov. 3 in New London Superior Court, judge Emmet Cosgrove heard
objections to the sale filed by DeMuzzio and his company CCI Inc. Cosgrove
filed a memorandum of decision on Nov. 14 in which he denied objections to
the sale filed by DeMuzzio and approved the sale.
This could drag on for a long time. Hopefully DeMuzzio would back off,
lick his wounds and take a loss on his taxes.
The Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park (TSMP) released a creative and
innovative seven (7) event schedule featuring twelve different touring
series and sanctioning bodies, and boasting over $500,000 in posted awards.
Two weekend events, and a five event Wednesday summer series, with four rain
dates, make up the calendar. The schedule was highlighted by four NASCAR
Whelen Modified Tour (NWMT) events, two new Triple Crown Series, and
significant enhancements to the Sunoco World Series of Speedway Racing.
For the 29th season, the track would operate under the NASCAR Whelen
All-American Series banner, offering Sunoco Modified, Late Model, Limited
Sportsman, and Mini Stock competitors the benefits of NASCAR membership,
awards, as well as state and national championship competition.
Shortly after the season ending Whelen Modified Tour Series event at
Thompson Donnie Lia informed Bob Garbarino that he was leaving Mystic
Missile Racing to seek other avenues. Lia and Mark Sypher whom Glen Reen
drove for in 2014 announced that they had joined forces to run the 2015
NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour (NWMT) in the No. 8 Chevrolet. Lia, who had 17
wins in the touring series, would pilot a LFR Chassis in 2015. Numerous
rumors concerning the future of Mystic Missile Racing have come to light but
have not been confirmed.
The Valenti Modified Racing Series staged their 11th annual Awards
Banquet at the Best Western Executive Inn in Manchester, NH. Taking center
stage was series driving champion Justin Bonsignore and series owner
champion Art Barry. Bonsignore was the fifth champion in the 11-year series
In his victory speech Bonsignore thanked his pit crew for their hard work
and dedication, crew chief Kenny Barry, Spafco Race Cars & Parts, Spearpoint
Racing, series sponsor Bob Valenti Auto Mall, VMRS officials, and gave a
heartfelt thank you to car-owner Barry for making it possible and for giving
him the opportunity and privilege to be part of a race team loaded with
successful history for over 60 years.
Barry, of Preston, CT, when introduced, received a rousing standing
ovation for his second series title and for his dedication to modified
racing. An emotional Barry thanked all for their support and was read a
special message from his wife, Deb, who for the first time was unable to
attend due to illness.
In addition to Bonsignore, the top 14 drivers in the standings received
recognition and awards from series president Jack Bateman including;
runner-up Rowan Pennink, Richard Savary, Chris Pasteryak, Max Zachem, Mike
Willis. Jr, Steve Masse, Keith Rocco, Norm Wrenn, Todd Szegedy, Dylan,
Kopec, Tommy Barrett, Woody Pitkat, Matt Mead, and Ted Christopher.
The 2014 Specialty Awards, chosen by series officials were presented.
Those included Spafco Most Improved Driver: David Schneider, Tough Luck
Award: Matt Mead, Sportsmanship Award: Willie Doucette, Mechanic of the
Year: Kenny Barry, Rookie of the Year: #38 Michael Willis Jr, Dedication to
Racing Award: Norm Wrenn, Volunteer of the Year Award: Ryan Doucette, Above
and Beyond Award: Warren Alston and the Bob Polverari 7-11 Award: Norm
During their annual series banquet Saturday, Valenti Modified Racing
Series officials announced a tentative 17-race schedule for the 2015. The
schedule includes 14 definite events with the possibility of three more
added whenever the foreclosure issues were decided at the Waterford
That’s about it for this week from 11 Gardner Drive, Westerly, R.I.02891.
Ring my chimes at 401-596-5467.
Phil Smith has been a
columnist for Speedway Scene and various
other publications for over 3 decades.
Looking Back Archive
Smith / Looking Back A Bit