PREECE POWERS TO
SOUTH BOSTON VICTORY
Dominant In Second Career Whelen Southern Mod Win
Preece attained what often seemed to be an
inevitable result when he took the NASCAR Whelen
Southern Modified Tour checkered flag Saturday at
South Boston Speedway, but it wasn’t without some
Preece led the South Boston 150 throughout en route
to his second career southern tour victory, the
majority of the time comfortably in the perch. Two
late-race cautions provided an extra challenge for
the Berlin, Connecticut, native, but he was able to
emerge ahead in both green-white-checkered flag
restart attempts for the win.
JR Bertuccio crossed the line second and was joined
on the podium by Burt Myers while Eric Goodale and
Danny Bohn finished fourth and fifth, respectively.
Kyle Ebersole, David Calabrese, Trey Hutchens, Gary
Putnam and Jason Myers brought home the top 10.
Defending South Boston 150 winner and reigning tour
champion Andy Seuss was involved in the first
accident caution of the race and relegated to a 16th
place finish, 57 laps down.
Preece, the 2013 champion of the northeast-based
NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour where he regularly
competes, has branched out to the southern sister
tour on a limited basis in recent seasons. While
he’s consistently had fast cars – he earned his
eighth Coors Light Pole Award in 12 career
appearances earlier in the day at South Boston –
Preece has had defeat snatched from the jaws of
victory on multiple occasions due to mechanical
failures and accidents.
There were no gremlins for Preece on this sunny
Saturday afternoon in the rolling hills of southern
Virginia, however. It was a perfect day in the No.
98 Curb Records/Menards Chevrolet: fastest in
practice and qualifying, and led the race
throughout. If not for his pit box position being
behind the start-finish line, Preece would have led
all 160 laps, but Bertuccio was credited with one
lap led under caution as his box was in front of the
Preece’s previous Whelen Southern Modified Tour
triumph came in 2013 at Bowman Gray Stadium.
The Whelen Southern Modified Tour will return to the
Commonwealth of Virginia next Saturday, April 11 for
the Pepsi 150 at Langley Speedway in Hampton.
NASCAR Whelen Southern
Modified Tour-South Boston 150 Results
Saturday At South Boston Speedway, South Boston, Va.
Lap length: 0.4 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (1) Ryan Preece, Berlin, Conn., 160 laps, 69.818 mph.
2. (4) JR Bertuccio, Centereach, N.Y., Chevrolet, 160.
3. (8) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 160.
4. (9) Eric Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 160.
5. (11) Danny Bohn, Freehold, NJ, Chevrolet, 159.
6. (6) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, Pa., Ford, 159.
7. (15) David Calabrese, Toms River, N.J., Chevrolet, 159.
8. (17) Trey Hutchens, III, Winston-Salem, N.C., Chevrolet, 157.
9. (13) Gary Putnam, Vernon, Conn., Chevrolet, 157.
10. (3) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 153.
11. (7) Frank Fleming, Mt. Airy, N.C., Chevrolet, 152.
12. (14) Spencer Davis, Dawsonville, Ga., Pontiac, 152.
13. (19) Paul Hartwig Jr., Chevrolet, 152.
14. (10) Bobby Measmer, Jr., Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 151.
15. (16) Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, FL, Chevrolet, 151.
16. (5) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 103.
17. (12) John Smith, Mount Airy, NC, Chevrolet, 93.
18. (2) George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y., Chevrolet,
19. (18) Mike Norman, Lewisville, N.C., Chevrolet, 85, accident.
Time of Race: 55 minutes 0 seconds
Margin of Victory: 0.361 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: R. Preece (99.358 mph, 14.493 seconds)
Caution Flags: 3 for 16 laps.
Lead Changes: 2 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: R. Preece 1-91; J. Bertuccio 92; R. Preece 93-160.
Standings: 1. E. Goodale, 129; 2. R. Preece, 120; 3. J. Bertuccio,
119; 4. B. Myers, 118; 5. J. Myers, 115;
6. G. Putnam, 107; 7. K. Ebersole,
106; 8. D. Calabrese, 105; 9. F. Fleming, 105; 10. J. Smith, 102.
Tim Southers /
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour
April 4, 2015