BACK TO VICTORY LANE
First NASCAR Whelen Modified Win Of 2017 Comes at Seekonk
Coby finally found himself back in Victory Lane on
The Milford, Connecticut driver dominated the second
half of the Seekonk 150 at Seekonk Speedway and
captured his first win of the 2017 season. He took
the lead from Matt Hirschman on lap 63 and led all
but one lap in the final stages en route to the win.
"We just had an awesome car," Coby said. "My guys
made awesome adjustments for the feature. When you
can't pit for tires, you have to be stout off the
truck. You have to know what to do for race. The car
was just awesome. I'm really happy to get Mayhew
Tools their first win with us."
The win was the 23rd career in Whelen Modified Tour
action for Coby and his first at the third-mile of
Seekonk. The only blunder for Coby, who started
fourth, came at lap 63 when Coby and Hirschman got
together battling for the lead. While Hirschman
spun, Coby was able to continue without damage and
stayed at the front of the race until the checkered
flag flew. He held off challenges from Ryan Preece
and Anthony Nocella in the final dash to the finish
Coby crossed the line 0.251 seconds ahead of
Nocella. Prior to Saturday, Coby had three
consecutive second-place finishes in Whelen Modified
With his third-place finish, Preece took the points
lead by two points over Coby. Rowan Pennink is
third, three points back, while Timmy Solomito is
fourth, 11 points back. Solomito crashed out while
running inside the top five and finished 22nd.
Justin Bonsignore was sixth, followed by Hirschman,
Max Zachem, Gary McDonald and Wade Cole. Earlier in
the day, Hirschman won his fourth career Coors Light
The Seekonk 150 will air on NBCSN Saturday Sept. 2
at 9:30 p.m.
The NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour returns to the track
next Saturday night, Sept. 2, at Oswego Speedway in
Whelen Modified Tour - Seekonk 150 Results
Saturday At Seekonk Speedway, Seekonk, MA
Lap length: 0.33 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (4) Doug Coby, Milford, Conn., Chevrolet, 150 laps, 63.688
2. (13) Anthony Nocella, Woburn, Mass., Chevrolet, 150.
3. (2) Ryan Preece, Berlin, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
4. (19) Matt Swanson, Acton, Mass., Ford, 150.
5. (5) Dave Sapienza, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
6. (15) Justin Bonsignore, Holtsville, NY, Chevrolet, 150.
7. (1) Matt Hirschman, Northampton, PA, Chevrolet, 150.
8. (12) Max Zachem, Preston, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
9. (25) Gary McDonald, Ronkonkoma, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
10. (22) Wade Cole, Hartland, Conn., Chevrolet, 149.
11. (8) Rob Summers, Manchester, CT,
12. (6) Rowan Pennink, Huntingdon
Valley, Pa., Chevrolet, 148.
13. (11) Craig Lutz, Miller Place, N.Y., Chevrolet,
14. (17) Eric Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet,
15. (14) Ted Christopher, Plainville, Conn.,
Chevrolet, 146, accident.
16. (9) Ronnie Williams, Ellington,
Conn., Chevrolet, 144.
17. (23) Melissa Fifield, Wakefield, N.H.,
18. (21) Manny Dias, Attleboro, Mass., Chevrolet,
19. (16) Jeff Rocco, Meriden, Conn., Chevrolet, 138,
20. (24) Walter Sutcliffe Jr., East Haven, Conn.,
Chevrolet, 125, accident.
21. (18) Shawn Solomito, Islip, N.Y., Chevrolet,
22. (7) Timmy Solomito, Islip, N.Y.,
Ford, 63, accident.
23. (10) Andrew Krause, Holmdel, N.J., Chevrolet,
24. (3) Jon McKennedy, Chelmsford,
Mass., Chevrolet, 63, accident.
25. (20) Calvin Carroll, Newton, N.J., Chevrolet,
Time of Race: 46 minutes 38 seconds
Margin of Victory: 0.253 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: M. Hirschman (99.215 mph,
Caution Flags: 7 for 34 laps.
Lead Changes: 3 among 3 drivers.
Lap Leaders: M. Hirschman 1-62; D. Coby
63-123; R. Preece 124; D. Coby 125-150.
Standings: 1. R. Preece,
413; 2. D. Coby, 411; 3. R. Pennink, 410; 4. T.
Solomito, 402; 5. J. Bonsignore, 399;
6. E. Goodale, 379; 7. D. Sapienza, 352; 8. M.
Swanson, 348; 9. M. Zachem, 337; 10. R. Summers,
Jason Christley / NASCAR
August 26, 2017